1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nihon Car & Bike: Toyota Safety Day (Video)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today Toyota conveyed the press to the Fuji Speedway in order to show their latest innovations in terms of safety with the "Integrated Safety Management Concept".
    So we found ourselves in a very friendly environment on one of the most prestigious race tracks in Japan and with one thing in mind… pushing the cars to the limit!
    Toyota was actually so confident about their safety system that we felt like the challenge was to try to crash the cars!

The Toyota menu of the day was called: "Integrated Safety Management Concept", and covered various aspects such as:

1) Parking
    2) Active Safety
    3) Pre-Crash Safety
    4) Passive Safety
    5) Emergency Response

Full Article + Video

Edit:

Just in case you guys aren't familiar with the new 2007 LS460 safety features or can't read Japanese in the second video, it explains how the millimeter radar (red) and the camera (blue) help in assisting the driver in the different scenarios shown. It shows how it alerts the driver about an object ahead of him using a combination of camera and radar. It explains how the rear Pre-Collision System (PCS) works when a vehicle quickly approaches the rear of the car. The radar detects that and sends a signal to move the front headrests closer to the occupants' head to minimise whiplash injury. Lastly, there's another camera looking at the driver. In combination with the front PCS, it alerts the driver with several beeps if the car detects an object ahead of the car and the driver isn't looking straight ahead. It'll also tighten up the seatbelt and prepares the car for an emergency manoeuvre. I'm not sure what it's talking about with VGRS. All I know is VGRS stands for "Variable Gear Ratio Steering" which is Lexus' version of Active Steering from BMW. My guess would be that the car changes the gear ratio so that the car steers quickly with less turn of the wheel.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very cool stuff.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally, a reply lol.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 13 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]362051[/snapback]</div>
    I was busy linking your link to my LS1 based car club forum. Ha!

I think its pretty awesome stuff. I really had no clue what the VSC option on my Prius was until I started reading and watching the video. Well and that thread that just started the other day.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    heh...

Well living in Cali, yeah I guess it's hard to try out without burning rubber. Up here, I just tried it on an ice-covered parking lot.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bump for new members. I think it's a must see.