1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Nio China 200 mi EV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Dec 18, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps our 'China hands' @hkmb and @tochatihu might explain why we see on chinese characters?

Source: Startup Nio to Launch Its First Electric Car for China - Caixin Global

The seven-seat Nio ES8 — which boasts a 70 kilowatt-hour battery pack that allows a driving range of 355 kilometers (221 miles) — will cost 448,000 yuan ($67,800), compared with 836,000 yuan for Tesla’s Model X. The ES8 is expected to hit the market in the first half of 2018.

. . . Nio has adopted a battery swap system, which will enable owners to swap their vehicles’ battery packs for fully charged packs in about three minutes at stations around the country. Nio plans to set up 1,100 such power-swap stations by 2020.

The company also plans to offer mobile charging services through what it calls “power mobile” vans equipped with battery packs and onboard chargers.

However, it is still unclear whether the business model will work, given the lack of infrastructure. For charging facilities to be as prevalent as gasoline stations in China, 100,000 charging facilities are needed, requiring an investment of up to tens of millions of yuan, according to data provider bosidata.com.​

IMHO, they face significant wide-spread adoption issues but I can see it starting out as a corporate vehicle in urban areas before radiating out.

A listing of Chinese EV cars: Chinese-Made Electric Cars | ChinaAutoWeb

Many years ago I remember seeing the 'mechanical ox' that was a walk behind, tractor. Is there a Chinese EV version?

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Battery swapping raises too many issues for private cars. Tesla's solution was to charge you for a new battery pack if you din't pick up your original battery.

It could be workable for fleets, though.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I don't understand the question @1. I have seen a few including Teslas in Beijing. Rode around in a BYD E5 there. It seemed like a good transportation appliance and I mean that in kindest possible way :)

Charging stations are rare in Kunming but they seem more common in Beijing.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry about that. It had a "n" and an "o" just the letters were slightly out of order.

I was trying to understand the degree English shows up instead of Mandarin. In the photo, no Chinese characters made me go,"Huh?"

Bob Wilson

tochatihu likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Totally forgiven - who can type with mangled digits?

All I can say is pictures may have been selected to not trouble the audience with Hanzi. Also, English is groovy and modern here in pubic eye. Govt. says they don't like it, but rarely suppresses.

(totally unrelated)
    When you see an English movie with Chinese subtitles, and rough language is used, rest assured that translations are tepid to the extent of entirely loosing the point. If you want to learn to curse in Chinese, gotta get some grad students :)

Jeff N, bwilson4web and Andyprius1 like this.
  6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What Chinese characters? I can't see any on the photo or in the article.

Interesting, though.

I suspect it may well all lead to nothing: there are a million Chinese car start-ups and only a few ever develop to become a thing.

But there are loads of EVs in Beijing. They range from tiny little things like this:

[​IMG]
    ...and particularly these, of which there are thousands:

unlicensed-mini-electric-car-is-seen-in-beijing-china-KHJ7R7.jpg

.....up to your usual Teslas and stuff.

There are loads of Chinese-branded ones. Shanghai in particular has a lot of electric BYD F3s (Corolla size) and E6s (people carriers), as well as a lot of PHEV Roewes (modernised Rover 75s). In Shanghai, a car licence plate costs upwards of US$10,000, but a green EV licence plate is free. This is a new thing that only started about a year ago, and it's caused sales of EVs to rocket.

7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean the bit with "NIO ES8" on its side?

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    car licence plate costs@45. Besides cost, there is a very long waiting list (at least in Beijing).

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am English, and I am unquestionably groovy and modern.

I suspect in this case it's to make it look like a car designed for international markets.

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Shanghai too. And there's no waiting list for the EV plates.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    hkmb, leave Mr Mangled alone now. he said he meant to type no instead of on.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For those new to the scene, Chinese vehicle plates have first character indicating which province. In other words it is a national system. Second letter indicates where in province with A (at least) referring to the capital city.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. This is how you can tell that car is from Jinan.

It's something I've always liked: it's fun seeing cars that are a long way from home, and imagining the journey they've taken.

Once, when there was only one IKEA in China, in Shanghai, I saw a Jaguar XJ6 on Lhasa plates in the car park. I thought that was a long way to go for some shelves.

In Britain, there used to be an incredibly opaque system which meant you could tell where a car was first registered if you had a table of two-letter codes to hand. It was rubbish. In Australia, there's just a State-by-state system, but you can't tell what city a car is from.

16. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    “Why” we see on Chinese characters, or “what” we see? Curiously though, I didn’t see any 汉子 there, but maybe I just missed it...

Anyway, that sounds interesting, alright! We’ll have to see how this all falls out. The fact that these guys work in a country that’s pushing EVs hard, whereas we’re stuck in a country where the President and Congress are trying to push our energy infrastructure back to 1950s technology, won’t hurt them a bit!

iPad ? Pro

17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now that’s brilliant, that’s the solution for air quality in China. I congratulate them.In reference to attachment.

#17 Andyprius1, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This calls for Ye Olde Mappe:

china car plates.jpg

Being a proper Chinese map because it includes the '9 dash' insert :)

Jeff N, hkmb and Andyprius1 like this.
  19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very Pretty!

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My own work as well :)

If you find country's shape to resemble a chicken, you are not alone. Within that, about where an egg might come out is Yunnan Province. Similar shape, chicken within a chicken, where the egg comes out. Get it?