1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Altima outsells Camry, Accord in March, named best-selling sedan in America for first time

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Found out about this via the Nissan Facebook feed.

Nissan Altima outsells Camry, Accord in March, named best-selling sedan in America for first time — Autoblog

It doesn't exactly concur with Top 10 Best-Selling Cars: March 2011 - KickingTires, if you count Crosstours as Accords. That's probably why the ABG qualified it with sedans. But, actually, when I think of it, ABG might be off since the Altima exists on coupe form as well.

Nissan/Infiniti News Room nor the sales chart there break out Altima coupe vs. sedan sales.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: Nissan Altima outsells Camry, Accord in March, named best-selling sedan in America for first tim

good for them. has it been close historically, or has nissan made great strides recently?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Nissan Altima outsells Camry, Accord in March, named best-selling sedan in America for first tim

I haven't followed that closely but I don't think it's been that close to either Camry or Accord. See Top 10 Best-Selling Cars of 2010 - KickingTires and Top 10 Best-Selling Vehicles in 2009 vs. 2008, for example.

Nissan has always sold a lot fewer vehicles total in a month in the US than Toyota, so I'd imagine that in most segments, their sales #s should be smaller than Toyota too. You can see what were last month at http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/01/by-the-numbers-march-2011-no-foolin-edition/.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

interesting. was it a big change from jan. and feb.?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That's pretty good. Why the sudden boost in Altima sales (fire sale to make way for the new Altima?) It is due for a redesign in 2012 I believe.

6. KJ_128

KJ_128 Commute-ist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

We've had two Altimas over the years (an '03 and presently an '08], both 2.5 SL. Love em. Great cars. Pretty good on fuel economy as well and packed with amenities (sunroof, upgraded audio, heated seats, aux audio in, etc]

7. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am not going to waste my time researching it, so I will assume those numbers are correct. Its only one month. Big fricking deal. When they sell more in a year, let me know.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Good for them. I liked the Altima redesign around 2001 or so but the current model looks more or less like it. I find the look very stale, very unappealing. The camry is better but still not good. The current gen of Accord looks the best.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

There was a major redesign of the Altima starting w/the 02 model year (so yes, it shipped in late 01) and it was the marked the 2.5L 4 and the first V6 for an Altima. They've made some changes and the next major one was w/the 07. I believe the 2011 was just a minor redesign.

I think the current gen of Accord sedan frankly looks terrible. The coupe looks ok. There were previous gens of both that looked better, IMHO.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Previous gen of Accord Coupe was horrible - the one with no character lines, just smooth all over, brach, so boring.

Hot looking Coupe is that new Hyundai Genesis.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Since I don't follow Honda... are you talking about the generation that would've included the 04 Accord coupe which had a back that looked like that of a Mercedes? If so, I actually liked that generation.

12. Vince1275

Vince1275 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Nissan has been pushing a lot of incentives towards their dealers to capture market share and has finally accomplished it in march out selling both Honda and Toyota.

1 person likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

we first looked at accord, camry and altima the year the altima was redesigned with the big taillights. all 3 cars seemed pretty similar. i voted for the altima based on looks but my wife liked the looks of the camry better. (it's her car) we are on our third camry (hycam) and haven't looked back. 10 years, 3 cars, zero problems,

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

How would that affect the 2nd hand market for owners who want to get rid of their Nissans? Wouldn't it reduce the price?