1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan announces overtime pay to workers to ramp up Leaf production to 4000 per month

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by Rybold, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM and Nissan Put Pedals to Floor on Early EV Rollouts | PluginCars.com

I believe that is the DEMAND part of the supply-and-demand equation.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I always marvel when authors refer to the Volt as an EV.
    :p

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i suppose it's more of an EV than the prius phEV?

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought they were both hybrids with extended EV range, whereas the Leaf is an EV.

Am I missing something here?

5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, hill is just taking the mickey out of the press release calling the Volt an EV. whats far more important is that BOTH the cars are in high demand. whether or not we think the prius is more efficient than volt and more convenient than the leaf, they are all much much better than tundras and frontiers so the more the merrier.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is PHV Prius. Volt is also a hybrid. Just look under the skirt (ahem rear bumper), there is a tail pipe.

7. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's disgusting :sick:

P.S. This thread was posted in the Nissan EV forum ... and the subject of the thread is about the Leaf. When I read the comments in this thread, I don't see anyone excited that Nissan is increasing Leaf production. How sad.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're right. It's a great thing that Nissan are so confident in this completely new product that they're investing such money into production.

Shame the Volt appears to be sold in such small numbers so far. Quite a half hearted effort by GM it appears.

Quite a contrast between the two manufacturers.

9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe first expectations were well above 4000/month...
    Nissan plans Leaf production capacity to reach 500,000 units globally by 2012 - egmCarTech

Toyota has announced making 100 thousand Li-ion batteries per year, which is much above 4000/month, and its PHEV is not rolling out yet...

Nissan numbers are not astonishing, may that be a reason for not posting big comment over it? We would praise, but after a lollypop, any icecream tastes sour...

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone knows the number of Leaf sold worldwide? I think majority of the production is staying in Japan.

Toyota is mass producing 100k plugin battery starting this autumn so it is 7 months away. Will we see the PHV Prius early next year, if not this year?

11. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not unless you are the type to refer to illegal aliens as mere "immigrants". :rolleyes:

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Leaf is a real EV. It only has one power source (battery). Both the Volt and PHV Prius are hybrids because they have the battery pack and the gas tank/engine.

Both the Volt and PHV Prius starts in EV mode. They will run on the battery until a certain condition, then the gas engine will run.

The condition when the gas engine turns on is different between Volt and PHV Prius. PHV Prius is designed to do more with less. It has the ability to intelligently select the best powertrain(s) depending on the condition. It focuses on raising the efficiency of both battery or gas by each powertrain helping another, when it is suitable. The result is the synergy effect and you get more out with less.

Volt focuses on running down the battery pack first. That strategy turns out to be engineering nightmare - it puts too much strain on the battery life and warranty. The worse was climbing up a mountain where the pack can deplete in 10 minutes. So they put a mountain mode to run the gas engine earlier.

Volt also run the gas engine to keep the battery pack warm. It can turn on while driving or in a cold garage, if you precondition the car. Volt's gas engine runs every 6 weeks as required by the engine maintenance schedule. There is also annual fuel maintenance schedule that will empty the gas tank, if you have not. These extra maintenances simply require the owner to drive with the gas engine on. There is no need to visit the dealer. The need for them really highlights the result of doing less with more.

Leaf does not have to worry about all those because it doesn't have a gas engine or a gas tank. However, it does require brake fluid change every 30k miles. I don't know why since regen brake will be used most of the time anyway.

Leaf production should skyrocket once the battery plant in the US is online. Until then I think most of the production will stay in Japan.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Nope. Neither are. Gotta have no tail pipe. I didn't know the issue was so confusing.
    ;)

It's a cost thing. If you don't qualify for credits/incentives, the $42,000 + is a lot more than many folks can afford, just to reduce fuel consumption. But like many nitch products (including the Leaf) ... there's always a market. How limited or major will they end up being? Time will tell.

14. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
  15. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is written that.
    However, multiply by ten in a year time would be a holeshot. Can Nissan do that? Can a manufacturer do that? I do not believe, at all.

Here in Portugal there was intention of changing a previous Renault factory to build batteries for Nissan-Renault. Nothing yet.

16. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Changes in Smyrna are on target to make 150K cars. Nissan factories generally can make upward of 300K cars.

Nissan’s Tennessee Battery Plant Going Up

[​IMG]

BTW, Renault will also get LG batteries.

17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The numbers of leaves delivered to american customers have been very small as deliveries have been favored in Japan. I'm glad they are trying to get production up to meet global instead of just domestic (japanese) demand. I don't think we will see the real numbers until the effects of the Japanese incentive are over.

Is this a temporary thing or are some cars designed for LG? With all that battery capacity coming on line next year I hope Nissan/Renault will be licensing some LG patents if they are better but don't think they need to be buying the batteries.

19. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe thats because Nissan/Renault won't be making enough batteries. LG batteries use chemistry similar to Nissan's - may be just a couple of years behind. They will catch up. Maybe they will use LG's for replacement of older batteries - not in new cars.

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are more and more cars at the TESLA plant (formerly nummi). I should take a picture sometime, but you guys probably don't care about that stuff. ;)