1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

nissan introduces smart cell key phone

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by rigormortis, Sep 25, 2008.

1. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    nissan, sharp and japanese phone company NTT Docomo developeed a cell phone for the japanese market that includes a built in smart key for your thier cars. maybe they will bring it to america, we can only hope toyota follows suit, or lets us buy the watch!

The smart cell key phone | Car Tech: An automotive blog from CNET - CNET Reviews

press release
    NTT DOCOMO: Press Releases - Nissan, NTT DOCOMO and Sharp Jointly Develop World's First Mobile Phone with Built-in Intelligent Key

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many of my friends already have the key fobs where all they have to do is have the key in their pocket or purse while standing next to the car, and if they push a button on the door handle, it automatically unlocks. Many manufacturers already offer this, and I'm sure many will follow suit. It's very convenient, as you don't have to actually take your keys out of your pocket.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to integrate the transponder into people's cell phones though. I bought my car four years ago, and I just bought a new cell phone a month ago. If I decide to buy a new car next year, will I have to ditch my iPhone and start using a "Toyota Phone" instead? (Will there be a "Corolla Phone," "Tundra Phone," and "Highlander Phone" also? Lol.)
    Perhaps, each phone would have a replaceable card, like a SIM card is replaceable, and the auto manufacturer would give you a card with a specific serial number/code for your car, and you'd then place that into your phone.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I switch cell phones about every 6 months. Last thing I want is to be tied to a limited choice of phones just so I can have a smart key that I already have sitting in my pocket that I never have to take out.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a Crown SKS watch and a Camry SKS watch

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Only in available in Japan, correct? :)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. I'm sure you can buy one and program it like a normal smart key.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus