1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Leaf Blog

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by DaveinOlyWA, Mar 2, 2011.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there are a lot of people interested in the Leaf and its thoughts from owners in general including myself. so i thought that posting my Leaf Blog here might provide some answers or provoke questions.

either way, here is blog link to peruse; took delivery jan 17th. so first one was two weeks later aptly titled "Two Weeks"

My Nissan Leaf Forum • 2 Weeks

#2 on 2/3/2011 was about the longest regular drive the Leaf would make and how it faired.

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Acid Test Part 2

#3 on 2/4/2011 was about a trip that is not regularly made. a meeting that would be beyond the Leafs range (actually waaay beyond because i got lost...)

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Leaf Owners Meet; the Plan

#4 entitled "122.8 Miles!!" pretty much says it all. it also goes into info on how the Leaf reacts as its range is reduced. keep in mind, i never hit Turtle mode!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum • 122.8 Miles!!

#5 is a waste of time for most of you...just too much "glow and smugness" to contain

My Nissan Leaf Forum • 1000 Miles

#6 entitled "Wish Lists" i am pretty happy with the Leaf and its accessories, but happiness always has its degrees... a few more degrees is always nice

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Wish Lists

#7 has been posted around and deals with range anxiety and maybe something many of you have already seen

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Range Anxiety for Gas Owners

#8 concerns the never ending debate on hypermiling and the best way to get the big numbers. i am not the expert on this topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Regen and Hypermiling

#9 deals with the #1 concern with any new car owners...the first ding

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Door Dings and Parking Lots

#10 "Reality Check" my thoughts after 6 weeks of Leafing and my sudden crash back to reality with a journey to the gas station

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Reality Check

#11 :"The Cost of Value Added" My Leaf was a Bargain at today's prices with today's issues http://www.mynissanleaf.com/blog.php?u=291&b=57

3 people like this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I look forward to reading the entries. I've only read reality check and range anxiety so far.

BTW, regarding missing the news, you should get a TiVo :) or some other good DVR. TiVolution rocks! Been using one since March 2001. No need to have your life's schedule revolve around when a TV show's on and there's too much good stuff on TV when you're not home and/or not in front of it. It's WAY less hassle than time shifting w/a VCR and mucking w/tapes.

I have season passes (they don't cost anything) set to record NBC and CBS news everyday along w/early evening local news broadcasts, 10 pm news and 11 pm news.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have a DVR but too lazy to program it usually. i dont actually have TV per se, at least no cable TV. but even without service i can get chanels 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 , 10, 11, and 13.

now i admit when i had cable TV, it was nice to watch them all without commercials which is something i must suffer thru. but i dont watch a whole lot of TV so i put up with it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dave, is there some place that you detail your charging costs and electric bills?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh... on TiVo, I just have season passes set. It'll auto-record every occurrence of that show on that channel while trying to be smart about not recording dupes, if possible.

I have 58 season passes set on my lone TiVo HD. (No, I don't watch ALL the stuff I record nor do I even watch the news everyday, let alone all those airings of the news.)

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i have info in my signature. but basically i pay around 10.2 cents per kwh and only track what i pay for...iow, if i plug in for free somewhere, the power gained is added to my usage but i simply dont add a value to it.

to date, i have only received about 3 hours of freebie juice. i really dont need it most of the time. in fact i do not charge daily. on days i am working and dont have much going on, i will let it go a day or so. the big driving days are when SO takes car and Saturdays which is our only day off together

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so you've gone 1500 miles for $50., if i'm paying $3.50/gal. and get 50 mpg (winter) 1500 miles will cost me a hundred bucks so, you're getting the equivalent of 100 mpg. does that make sense?

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    My gas cost is not that high yet but should not be long. On the Prius gas jumped 17 cents from the last fillup and I am guessing it will jump again soon.
    At $3.21 a gallon I would be basically getting 100 mpg or at least the same financially speaking. But last fillup was $3.30 and that was a week ago. Afraid to look at what it might be now

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and is .102/kwh your total cost on your electric bill? iow if you use 100 kwh, your total bill with all charges is $10.20?

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Ya. I pay tiered rates based on volume. Top tier for me is about 8.8 to 9.3 cents per kwh. We get a variable kickback from the bonneville administration that fluctuates constantly. So I simply take the numbers of killowatts and divide it by the total bill to get a per kwh cost. Despite the fluctuating costs the overall cost seems to be the same every month.
    Has been 10.2 per kwh for last 6 or 7 bills. Sometimes its up to 10.3-10.4 but usually only during summer time. I posted my electric bill on leaf comes home thread

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent, great info, thanks dave!

12. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Dave, your signature

"If my Prius was a Leaf; last fillup would have been $13.96 instead of $34.60"

So it looks like it will cost you $13.96 to travel 100 miles in the Leaf vs. $34.60 for 500 miles in the Prius? What am I missing?

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Distance

The comment was based on the per mile cost of each vehicle. Iow it would cost $13.96 in electrictyin the Leaf or $34.60 in gas for the Prius to drive the 434 miles

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave,

How well are you able to hang with the pace of commute traffic in the Leaf?

I find so many people are leadfoots in their cars, going too fast into the next stoplight. It is quite annoying when they're behind and I'm trying to save a little gas and my brakes.

Do you find the Leaf zips along well without others passing up?

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh the Leaf has great acceleration and i could easily outrun most of them at speeds under 40 mph. now before in the Leaf and the Prius, i would have people go flying around me just to slam on their brakes to sit at a red light. with gas approaching $4 a gallon i notice a lot of people starting to drive more like me

1 person likes this.
  16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In O.C. So Cal, regular is already $4. The local station's regular is $4.09 and climbing. Our PV system gets more and more valuable as we use the higher gas cost to reduce our remaining 3 year, 10 month "break even" period. It's all good.
    ;)

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

we are up to $3.62 here. was stable for a bit, but has jumped a few cents over the past 2 days

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    #13 deals with thoughts on the cost of replacing the batteries in a Leaf. many place it in the "repair" category. i feel it being an integral part of the car means it should be in the depreciation category

My Nissan Leaf Forum • Battery Pack Warranty