1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Sells 100,000 LEAFs, Captures 48% Of Worldwide BEV Market To Date

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jan 20, 2014.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    telmo744 and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I like the EV range of the Leaf. Just not enough EV range to purchase one for dedicated local driving. One of my favorite plays in football is "go long". While my PIP has very limited EV mileage, it's versatile.

austingreen likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ditto. but congrats to nissan, they made a commitment and have been following thru on it. i was a doubter, and they proved me wrong!(y)

4. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Shouldn't this say you DON'T like the range of the Leaf?

Unfortunately the leaf has very little resale value. I've seen them go for as little as 15,000 and it will only get worse as leases end, and Nissan dealers are stuck with a ton of them filling lots.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You can buy the new lowest priced one for $19K in california after the tax credits, if you can sell it for $15K after 3 years that's a great resale value. Those that bought instead of leased the first ones imported from Japan got burned. I would expect the resale to be fairly good with the new pricing.

6. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I do like the 84 mile EV range of the Leaf compared to the PIP. But, the Leaf is a one hit wonder. I like the dual fuel versatility of the Toyota Prius Plug In best.

austingreen likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent!

I just got back from a day-trip to Nashville and back, 250 miles with our first, used 2003 Prius. We paid $17,000 for that one in October 2005.

At $15,000, a used Leaf is well within the range of prices for a commuting car around town.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  8. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nissan is not my cup of tea. Especially the leaf.
    Their sale is no way can compare to Prii.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would love to have a LEAF as a commuter car. If my second older Prius ever dies the LEAF is at the top of my shopping list.

I do wonder about the ~50% of EVs title. What cars are the competition other than Tesla ?

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla Model S is a work of art. Leaf is an eyesore inside and out to me. Dorky driver's seating layout.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Heh.

IMHO the Tesla S appearance is boring. Seen one, seen dozens or hundreds of look alikes. Which is probably the point: Tesla is appealing to the rich with conservative neighbors. The LEAF on the other hand has function and character.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, my Prius mostly sits idle in my garage since I mostly drive my Leaf now.

Since I began leasing at the end of July 2013, I've put over 5K miles on my Leaf. I don't have a mileage count on my Prius handy.

As DaveinOlyWA had put it before (Leafer and former Prius driver), driving a Prius feels like driving a noisy rattletrap. However, admittedly, my Leaf has developed a few rattles too.

The lack of NVH when accelerating hard is very nice. I'm enjoying the Bose stereo (even though I am NOT a fan of Bose) and love the Around View Monitor. Also, L2 charging is free at my work. I tend to only charge at home on weekends, so my "fueling" costs are next to nil.

However, there are some trips where taking the Leaf is a bad idea due to distance or charging infrastructure issues (taking too long, possible lines, possible down DC FCs, not enough time to charge, no time or place to charge at stops, etc.).

Example:
    I recently ended up taking my Prius to SFO airport and parking it there long term because doing it w/o charging at SFO would've been near impossible ((full charge @) work -> SFO (parked) -> home). If I stopped off at work to charge on the way home for maybe 30 mins or so, I could've made it home, but I would've had to make the drive to work (to charge) pretty slow, to avoid anxiety. I could've bumbled around looking for DC FCs on the way home, but that could've been a waste of time (due to down DC FCs) and zapping more of my precious charge.

I will admit the styling of the Leaf isn't the best.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The 100K # is world wide ... and there a bunch (besides Spark, iMiev, Rav4-ev) that don't get imported into the U.S.
    Not necessarily. Ours is VIN XXXXX0000690. In CA back then, they were still giving $5k rebates. Top that with the $7.5k Fed credit, and a $2k knock off the MSRP from a couple dealerships? It wasn't too bad. Of course, the NEWER ones charge almost 2X as fast (@ 6kW instead of 3.5) ... even if you've got no QC's near by.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if the Leaf sold 100,000 that means the others need to add up to just over 100,000.
    Tesla, as you mentioned, is a chunk of that at about 25k.
    There are about a dozen or so other electrics. Many are sold regionally.
    China's BYD has been sold to taxi fleets since 2010. Not sure if those count or not in this tally. Sales to general public have been about 3k.
    The Renault electrics are pretty common in Europe (as far as electrics go). Looks like about 10k?

Looks like the MieV is another big chunk. It is rebadged under a couple of other names worldwide. Worldwide sales as of December 2012 were about 22k. While it is a minor player in the US it is sold across the world and those numbers add up.

So we have accounted for about 60k with those 4 companies.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, the Model S looked really boring sitting next to the Bugatti Veyron at the SV Auto Show.

16. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much as advertised.
    Sluggish sales, low inventory doesn't seem to help.

Personally i do not match those european 10k shared, like 500 or so, on Portuguese roads.
    Released a few months ago, never seen a Zoe, and i have a friend (had a 3Gen Prius) that is still waiting for one (ordered late Dec'13).
    Fluence ZE another friend has one (he still owns a 1Gen Prius) ...
    Kangoo ZE, two ever sighted, only one seen out of the dealer lot.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That bugatti looks like a POS to me. Although I have seen the 2011 in person, is there a new one.

For pretty cars the porsche 918 looks much prettier, and probably peforms better on the track or on the street. The veyron will go faster in a straight line, but how many people really want that. Both cars though because of their value will end up garaged most of the time.

There are more beutiful cars than the tesla S, and faster cars. But it is prettier and faster than most.:) They seem rather common place here, certainly more than the leaf, but much more rare than the prii. It does sell in roughly the same numbers as the leaf in the US, which is quite the accomplishment for a much more expensive car.

I am sure the leaf's looks and range have hurt its sales, and certainly no one at nissan will tell you it has met sales expectations. Still there are all those voices out their claiming no one wants a bev. In 2012 some were acting as if 2013 sales might even go down. As more people see and drive the leaf, more people want them. 100,000 in just over 3 years much higher than those pundits were claiming was possible. Still I can see the next generation getting prettier, with more range, and being more expensive, and selling even better.
    Renault: 250 Miles For Subcompact Electric Cars By 2020

Go nissan. You have proven that even a car that many consider ugly can sell well.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "Those pundits" were probably talking about sales per annum in the US, not 3 years of sales world-wide

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Different strokes ...

I am the opposite. Since I am forced by circumstances to be a 2 car family, I appreciate the option to not pay for an ICE in one of my cars while retaining long-drive capability in the other car.

20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That's the way to do it: Keep your current gasoline car, and then buy an EV second. That way you won't have range anxiety because you can always have your gasoline car for the long trips, and the EV for daily commute.

bwilson4web likes this.