1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan shares rise on plan to develop hybrid for 2011 (mention of possible hybrid Serena minivan)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jul 17, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm, not so sure what's so newsworthy about this other than the possible hybridization of the Serena minivan. They've been talking EVs for a long time and have even had some RWD mules/prototypes w/their own hybrid system instead of the Toyota components in the NAH.

MarketWatch.com Story

It'd be interesting if they bring a hybrid minivan to the US market before Toyota. As a given, it'd need to be reliable too, unlike the abysmal first few years of the current gen Quest.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Nissan shares rise on plan to develop hybrid for 2011 (mention of possible hybrid Serena minivan

We'll see what Nissan brings. They've been talking a lot and it seems that they do have a viable portfolio but none of the said vehicles are planning to be launched in the near future. I've seen zero advertisement for the Altima Hybrid and none on the lots.

3. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Nissan shares rise on plan to develop hybrid for 2011 (mention of possible hybrid Serena minivan

I believe the Altima hybrid is only sold in 8 states here. The NYC police force will use them for cars now.

I think most are aware it uses the Toyota tech.

Carlos Ghosn publicly stated years ago hybrids were pretty much stupid. Now he is eating his words.

4. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Where I work in Queens, the local NYPD precinct (the 112th in Forest Hills) has an Altima Hybrid assigned. I gotta say that's the nicest-looking NYPD police car I've ever seen. :D

I think the NYPD chose it because the Altima Hybrid has been in use as NYC taxi cabs for the past couple years and apparently they withstood the abuse well, and it's supposed to be a bit more peppier than the Camry Hybrid. If the Fusion Hybrid had come out a couple years earlier I think the NYPD would have chose that.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

It's available in 9 states now. I think Oregon was the one that got added recently.

As for Ghosn, yeah, he's not been a hybrid fan for a long time w/statements like those at Nissan Chief: Hybrid Cars a "Terrible" Business Prospect and I recall (wish I could find the article) that he claimed to be doing it only to meet emissions requirements.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I've seen little or no advertising for it on TV in California but I do see quite a few NAHs on the road here. They're easy to spot once you get close enough as there's only one generation/body style of them and they have hybrid badges along the sides and back. Non-hybrid's have a totally different looking badge on the back so it's easy to distinguish.

I certainly see them WAY more than I see any of GM's mild or two-mode hybrids.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ditto. I have not seen a single NAH ad even when new. I've only seen one on the road registered in Canada.

Indeed he is. It's sold all across Canada and even in "hybrid paradise" B.C., they're nowhere to be found.