1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan to install fuel effiency gauges

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by orracle, Aug 22, 2007.

1. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/enviro...uel-meter_N.htm

Nissan to put lead-foot gauge on all models
    Updated 15h 40m ago | Comments 26 | Recommend 2 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this
    Nissan's fuel-efficiency meters (like this one below the speedometer) will allow drivers to see the effect of a lead foot.
    Enlarge image Enlarge Nissan
    Nissan's fuel-efficiency meters (like this one below the speedometer) will allow drivers to see the effect of a lead foot.
    By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY
    Nissan (NSANY) plans to equip all of its cars and trucks with a gauge to tell drivers when they are being gas-guzzling lead foots.

The "fuel-efficiency" meter, as the gauge is called, shows up already as a horizontal bar in the instrument cluster of the 2007 Nissan Altima and the 2008 Titan pickup, Armada SUV, Infiniti G35 car and QX56 SUV. When coasting down a hill, the meter is long and orange, meaning little fuel is being used. When the pedal is to the metal, the line shortens dramatically.

"You will become a little less lead-footed if you can see what putting your foot to the pedal does to your fuel economy," suggests Nissan spokesman Tony Pearson.

Similar gauges are found on some models by other automakers, especially hybrid and luxury vehicles. But Nissan's move to put them on every model demonstrates how automakers are racing to be fuel conscious as high gasoline prices weigh more heavily on consumers.

Based on in-house tests, Nissan predicts drivers will cut their fuel use by about 10% when they have a gauge that monitors their driving habits. The gauge will be phased in as new models roll out over the next few years.
    FIND MORE STORIES IN: Toyota | General Motors | Honda | SUV | Nissan | Prius | Odyssey

Environmentalists are encouraged.

"It shouldn't be just wealthy people with luxury cars that have this information," says Tim Carmichael, senior director of policy for the Coalition for Clean Air. "I hope the rest of the industry follows them."

David Friedman, research director for the vehicles program of the Union for Concerned Scientists, says Nissan is making a "common-sense thing that should have been done decades ago so you know what you're getting" when it comes to fuel mileage.

Ford Motor (F) and General Motors (GM) combine their gas-mileage information in a "driver information center" that not only shows gas use at the moment but over the length of a trip. On Ford's Mustang and its pickups, the feature comes as part of optional, higher-cost trim levels.

Toyota's ™ readout on vehicles such as Prius, Avalon, Camry and Highlander goes all the way to 99 miles per gallon.

Honda (HMC) has a gauge on its hybrids, but in addition, it has a simplified "eco light" on some gas-powered models, including Odyssey minivan, Pilot SUV and Accord sedan. It lights when the vehicle is being driven at its optimum. "Our customers tell us it's a helpful tool," says Honda's Sage Marie.

Some automakers worry that the gauge could add another layer of distraction to the dashboard. "We're already putting in so many features for the driver," says Chrysler spokesman Nick Cappa. Chrysler will have the gauges on its new hybrid models.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a good add-on. If people knew how much gas they were actually consuming, there'd be a lot fewer lead-foots.

3. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Aug 22 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]500625[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's a great idea. As much as I like seeing great MPG numbers when I refill my tank, having the constant reminder on the MFD makes a big difference, so I'm sure it will help many Nissan owners to drive more economically.

Yes, and God forbid that Chrysler get rid of one of those other features to make room for a useful and socially responsible one.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'd be nice to know how, specifically, the manufacturer's different gauges calculate MPG...didn't Chevy have a vacuum gauge in the '69 Impala SS...?

Hoping these are a bit more sophisticated than that.

I, too, am loving how Chrysler is concerned that this will distract the driver!

Overall, though, a great idea. Whether marketing hype or an actual attempt to address fuel economy through driver behavior, I think it's cool.

5. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I remember the fuel efficiency guage in my Dad's 1981 Caprice Classic. The only time it every read efficient was when the engine was turned off.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This should be mandated in every vehicle. There should also be a conversion reading on the meter to indicate the amount of money lost per minute. I'd hazzard to guess that this device in every vehicle would do more to save gas than doubling the number of vehicles on the road.

7. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Aug 22 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]500625[/snapback]</div>
    Totally agree.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good. Then people can't simply quote the brochure. They'll know what they're really getting.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, I don't think it's going to be that effective. It's a bar? That's it?

The Prius is effective because it actually shows you how many mpg you're getting. I don't think a simply bar and nothing else is enough feedback. And a lot easier to ignore.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find the current tank fuel consumption is the number that challenges me to drive more efficiently, any gauge will need to display that figure in a quantifiable form as well as current consumption to get people to target fuel usage.
    Vacuum gauges only show how hard you press the accelerator pedal. Will Nissan have a heavy braking gauge to show how wasteful heavy braking is?
    Fuel consumption is calculated using speed, engine revs and injector opening duration. Vacuum gauges were a waste of space on the dash.

11. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mercedes and BMW had these kind of economy guages in their cars 25 years ago. And they fell by the wayside for a reason. People got tired of watching the needle swing back and forth all the time. Step on the gas, needle goes down; let off, needle goes up....swinging the whole time you drive. After a while, it's like OK, OK I know this... I get the message. It was like having a guage that shows you how hard you're pushing the gas pedal.
    People need something tangible and cumulative, to change their ways.

What makes the Prius work, and why we strive for higher numbers is different and unique. Prius is capable of such high fuel economy, and proper driver technique can exagerate fuel economy to such a high level, there is an immediate and long term reward. And both are displayed for our human satisfaction. In the car and at the pump.