1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan unveils hybrid using Toyota HSD, Promises EV by 2010

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wiyosaya, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Nissan unveils hybrid, Promises EV by 2010

Full story.

I also found this thread on PC that details the EV prototype.

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hm, not keen on the looks of the hybrid, but I like the looks of that EV!

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think your title is misleading; the Altima hybrid already uses the Toyota HSD under license. Nissan is now unveiling their own system which is different than the HSD design. The first paragraph of the article is phrased awkwardly, but if you read the complete article, it becomes clear.

4. Derek

Derek New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Test EV car is actually a Nissan Cube. It has been around in Japan for sometime now. I heard a rumor a while a go that they were bringing the car here to the States. It would be nice if it did make its arrival in EV form.

[​IMG]

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I welcome any new hybrid into the market. I wish them luck competing with Toyota.

The G35/37 is a poor car to turn into a hybrid. It's heavy and handles like a truck, not a "sport sedan"! The cube is probably just being used because they had a restricted budget. It wouldn't be a very good choice for an EV due to very poor aerodynamics. Perhaps it's just for a city delivery truck. If you've ever been to a Japanese city you'll understand how perfect such a vehicle would be there.

6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nissan's new hybrid technology is not Toyota's HSD. From the description it sounds similar to GM's dual-mode hybrids. It is the Altima that used HSD.

Nissan will not be making a EV version of the Cube. The article states that the Cube is only a prototype and Nissan will build their EV on a unique platform not a current platform.

I hope that Nissan will bring their EV to the US in 2010. The Japanese manufacturers seems to like to keep new technology in Japan for a couple of years before releasing it to the world.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfect for the mom n' pops delivery truck!

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    G35/37.. I agree that this vehicle is heavy and inefficient, ..but we also want the general public to think that hybrids are "cool." :cool: Let's not forget that this is only one model out of Nissan's entire portfolio of vehicles.

Box (Scion design; Ford Flex) ... the majority of the Prius's fuel savings are not from aerodynamic efficiency. the majority of the Prius's fuel savings are from motor-assisted accelerating (which occurs at low speeds when aerodynamics is less of a factor). Sure, aerodynamics is VERY important, BUT accelerating (under 30mph) is MUCH more important to fuel economy. I would estimate that aerodynamics can reduce F.E. by 20%, yet when we compare the Prius CITY gas mileage to the Matrix CITY gas mileage, we observe EPA 48/26 = an 85% increase!
    (my estimate for the 20%: I used to own a Chevy Silverado that was "flat" on the front grille and windshield, and when I took my foot off of the gas and concurrently shifted to neutral, I could clearly feel the drag. In my Corolla, I barely notice the aerodynamic drag)
    :ballchain::car:

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You joking about the EV or do you just have really poor taste in auto design? :D