1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Warns Drivers: Don't Put Mobile Phones Near Our Keys

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Enoyls, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Enoyls

Enoyls New Member

Man this sucks for Nissan/Infinity people

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070525/164331.shtml

I'm guessing this isn't a problem Prius owners have to worry about but with the cost/headache of key fob replacement I'm not willing to test it myself ;)

2. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I seem to recall reading in the manual that you are supposed to keep your smart key away from electronics such as cell phones, but I think that had to do with battery life, not scrambling the codes.

3. lokicat

lokicat New Member

I made the mistake of putting my cell in the cup holder with My smart key and as I was driving along it started flashing at me that the car was not recognizing the key. I quickly grabbed my key and waved it around. It was fine after I separated my key from my phone.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lokicat @ Jun 5 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]455783[/snapback]</div>
    No need to panic in that situation. Once started, the Prius doesn't care if the smart key goes away. You could throw it out the window and continue driving. It's when you turn the car off and try to turn it back on that you would have a problem.

5. lokicat

lokicat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jun 5 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]455808[/snapback]</div>
    Thats good to know! I probably looked pretty silly! :lol:

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From having my smart key in my pocket with my cell phone it seems that electronics can BLOCK the signal connecting the key to the car but has never had any affect on the programming in the key.