1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan warns U.S. cellphones can disable car keys

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Marlin, May 25, 2007.

1. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I initially thought this was just an "it won't work if it's too close to a cell phone" issue.But no! For Nissan's smart keys, putting it too close to a cell phone can permanently disable the smart key.

Nissan warns U.S. cellphones can disable car keys
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Yahoo News")</div>

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is just plain S T U P I D !

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh how 'intelligent' haha.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I think CNN put out this "news flash" too. Our smart FOB's use radio modulation and in theory, any RFI (radio frequency interference) of similar frequency, if strong enough can interfere w/ any other radio transmitter.

So where's the 'breaking story' Nissan & CNN ??

Our '04 (and later I presume) manuals already says that. Sheesh CNN, thanks for the news flash :rolleyes: A cel phone only puts out appx 250 miliwatts (a forth of a watt). There are commercial vehicles (like taxis), including the Prius that run 35 watt transievers. I've use my 100 watt amateur radio near it, with no effect . . . what, isn't a cel phone less the 100th that much potential RFI?

Wooooh I better woooory. :p
    ok i'm done w/ my wiseenheimer humor.

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 28 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]450897[/snapback]</div>
    I guess the breaking story is that your cellphone will permanently destroy your Nissan smartkey... and yeah, if I had a Nissan smartkey, I guess I would worry. :)

6. mrg

mrg Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ May 27 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]450911[/snapback]</div>

My wife has carried her cell phone and 2005 Murano smart keys in her purse for well over 2 years with no problem. Well I say no problem, some times when we go in to the garage the front windows will be down. I am sure the phone and keys have touched. Maybe they have to be touching when it rings.