1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nitrogen Self-fill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by partipilo, Oct 5, 2007.

1. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it possible to pick up my own reasonably sized cylinder of Nitrogen to do my own tire fills? Something approximately the size of a Scuba cylinder would probably be great for all fours and continued top-ups for quite some time I'm guessing.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? Air exerts pressure in all directions just like any other gas.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, you can get Nitrogen from any gas supply outlet, but the advantage of Nitrogen is the lack of water. Put a good dryer on your compressor and you will do just as well.

Tom

4. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The other offered reasons for using N2 are lower permeability and non-inflammability. For the permeability, just check your pressure more often (and plain air is 78% N2 anyway).

Aircraft use N2 because for them a panic stop is stopping a vehicle that's hundreds of tons from 300mph. Unless you're doing that, I wouldn't worry about it.

In my area, the humidity is typically between 10 and 20%. I don't worry about a dryer. :D

Really, the advantages N2 has in ultra high performance situations are negligible on a family sedan.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(partipilo @ Oct 5 2007, 02:02 AM) [snapback]521632[/snapback]</div>
    I have a seven gallon one, something like this . . .
    [​IMG]
    http://www.everyaircompressor.com/Coleman-...T5-CLP1209.html

You can pick them up for around $30-$50.

I just take mine to Costco and fill it with the nitrogen hose they leave out for us customers. I don't know how long it will last as I have only done some minor one or two PSI top-offs for the past three months, and there is still over 100 PSI left.

The nitrogen is free for Costco customers.

P.S. And I like the idea of pumping dry nitrogen into this tank rather than moist air.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alanh @ Oct 5 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]521950[/snapback]</div>
    The permeability of N2 and air are exactly the same, for all practical purposes. If you are worried about the small amount of lighter trace gases, they will diffuse back into N2 filled tires so you will end up with the same mixture as starting with air. The end result is the same starting with air or N2.

Tom