1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NJ Turnpike EZPass Green Pass Discount

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone in NJ, NY or Boston registered in "Green Pass Discount" from EZPass Toll. Website says I have to make the call and provide a proof, but their calling system is down. Anyone knows what proof is needed. I have added my vehicle License plate on my account, will that be sufficient or I have to mail the documentation.

Toll Calculator | NJTA
    GREEN PASS DISCOUNT
    • The Green Pass Discount provides a 10 percent discount on the off-peak rate on the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway for drivers in vehicles rated at 45 miles per gallon or better and meeting the California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) standard.
    • Customers must enroll in the plan and provide proof of eligibility.
    • To apply, call New Jersey E-ZPass at 1-888-AUTOTOLL (1-888-288-6865)

2. krushmoto

krushmoto Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    NY provides 2 different green discounts. Port authority plan "pagreen" and NYS Thruway "green".
    Proof requires you to submit a letter along with a copy of your registration. My car is registered in PA but I have a NY Thruway E-ZPass acct. MTA E-ZPass plans can't get the discount. Long story.

Good to know about the NJ plan. Have to see if they can apply it to my NY plan.

Nexus 6P ?

3. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone know of a similar thing for Massachusetts?

I used to have EZ-pass through NJ (from long ago) but was forced to switch to EZ-pass through Massachusetts when they started charging people with out-of-state EZ-pass transponders more than those with in-state transponders...

Something as nice and convenient as EZ-pass has been screwed-up by stupid governments who refuse to work together. Or my cynically, are working together to charge us more...Once NY/NJ starts to do the same, I'll be forced to own multiple transponders and keep track of which to use when.

4. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I get into the city really early (hit the Holland around 5:30) and signed up for the PA green which drops the rate down to $7 from the $12 it normally hits you with. I used to hit it around 6 but that's the off-peak cut off, so I moved it ahead a half hour and figured it pays for lunch (or at least a 1/2 a drink as it's nyc after all).

5. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

6. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I signed up they needed a copy of your vehicle registration so they knew the plate was associated with a hybrid vehicle.

7. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks guys. It makes sense that a license plate may not tell them that I am using a green car. I will mail them my registration papers, so that I can make use of the Green Pass Discount.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is very progressive thinking, i hope mass picks up on this, if they haven't already.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For those that rarely use tolls, just get the EZ-pass from the state with the lowest fees. I went with Delaware, but New Hampshire might be the lowest. Even if you use tollways often, they might work out lower overall cost.

10. krushmoto

krushmoto Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    NY doesn't charge any fees unlike NJ so I guess I'll stick with my PANYNJ and NYS Thruway discounts for now.

Nexus 6P ?

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We only use toll roads while on vacation. With PA having an annual fee for EZ-Pass, I just stayed away from it for years. Got interested by the discounts for EZ-Pass on 95 in Maryland, and started looking into it. You have to have a Maryland address for those discounts, but found states that didn't charge monthly or yearly fees.

12. Geo2k11

Geo2k11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can't you just go into an ez-pass walk in location and submit documentation there?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...There are some lengthy prior threads...I believe there are 3 EZ Pass authorities in the North Jersey region: NJ, NY thruway, and Port Authority for the bridges/tunnels. It is complex but I think some folks are able to combine the NYT and Port Authority discounts for green cars. For the OP from South Jersey (Cherry Hill - my old stomping grounds), He probably just wants the NJ Green discount. Sometimes you may need to get more than one EZ Pass to qualify for all the discounts...for example you'd need a special EZ Pass flex on the Va. HOT Lanes (we get an ON/OFF switch to turn off fee with 3 PAX)

#13 wjtracy, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017