1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No 2-way radios?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr, Sep 29, 2007.

1. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In my '08 manual it says not to use 2-way radios in the vehicle as it could interfere with radio frequencies of the car. I take long drives on interstates and have always used a CB radio to communicate with truckers for bear sightings. Has anyone installed a cb radio and has it affected the car? I'd really like to know if i can install mine. I also figure that if i did install it and it did mess something up, shouldnt that still be covered in my warranty. How would toyota know if i had a cb in the car or if i just passed a truck with a massive transmitter/reciver?

2. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've used a "portable" 5 watt CB in my 2006 Prius. That means that the antenna was inside the cabin of the PRIUS. No problems that I know of.

Also used the GRMS/FRS portable radios. No problems to report.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several posts on POL where HAM operators installed radios in the Prius with no interference problems.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's just a CYA statement in case you use a radio and it causes problems.

Tom

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen several city agency Prius with large whip antennae attached, so somebody must be making them work. I've seen them on Honda Civic Hybrid official city service cars, too.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Prius emits a lot of RF noise, especially below "CB" frequencies. If you transmit with 100 watts or less, there is little chance of irritating the car.