1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No air coming out of vents

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PRlUS, Feb 20, 2013.

1. PRlUS

PRlUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Abridged version: My fans won't blow any air out of the vents. If I spin the blower/fan motor that is behind the glove compartment, it'll work again. But the cycle repeats itself every time I turn the car on.

I've searched around for answers for this, but haven't come across anything conclusive.
    Here's the problem: air no longer blows out of my (2006 Prius) vents. First it happened one morning but was fine that afternoon, now it is an evey-time-I-turn-the-car-on thing.
    What I've tried/noticed:
    -when I turn the air on (temperature doesn't matter, neither does using the display vs steering wheel controls), I can hear a motor running under the hood (starts with a slight whir and steadily progresses, but again, nothing comes out of the vents in the car).
    -I took out the glove compartment, removed the filter, cleaned it off, gave the fan motor a little spin (all with the car off). I turn the car on, the fans work.
    -Next time I turn the car on, they don't. I repeat the last step (remove filter, spin motor). Works again. Every time.

The problem is, that's pretty annoying to have to do that every time I get in the car. Since everything "can" work fine, what do you think the problem is?
    *I've scheduled a service appt with the dealership, but I'd like to keep it as low cost as possible (whether that's cancel the appt, or let them tell me what's wrong and do it myself if possible).

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could be as simple as debris inside the fan blower assembly. Remove the bolts on the bottom and the entire fan comes out. It is pretty common to find rodents nests or even just twigs and leaves jamming it up.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have heard several posts about the blower motor having problems with the brushes internally, either dirt or just wear. If you are able to remove the motor and dismantle it, you should be able to get the brushes cleaned up again. Otherwise, just replacing the blower motor is what some have done here.

4. Mike Mc

Mike Mc '16 Prius 4, '13 Prius 3

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had to replace the blower fan motor on my '06 a few years ago. I found one online for $35 and it took about 15 minutes to swap it out.
    I used this one: Its now $36.79 but still half of the price of one at AZ or Orielly.
    More Information for TYC 700153