1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no ash tray

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rwithop, Nov 30, 2004.

1. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Another oddity:

I noticed the car has no ash tray / trash bin. While I understand this since there is no cigarette lighter, does this mean that Prius drivers are so "green" that they produce no garbage either?

Wow. Those Japanese thought of everything! :?

2. techogurl

techogurl New Member

There is an aftermarket Toyota ash tray and waste holder. I assume that these features were thought to be nonuseful to the market category of Prius drivers.

3. Michael Maddox

Michael Maddox New Member

It's a subtle, quit-smoking message. That said, my car had the ashtray add-on in the glove box. Check the Toyota parts store...it fits in a drink holder.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A co-worker's wife just bought a new Camry. No ashtray in it either. Apparently she isn't taking the hint and has ordered one. It seems to be the same 'cup holder' version. Not glad she smokes, but it seems a bit rude to make your customer choose between 2 drink holders or 1 and an ashtray holder. I would think they could make one to fit a storage area, like the one under the stereo in the Prius. Don't know what the Camry has for extra storage bins so the benefit to Toyota of "one fits all models" might not exist.

5. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rwithop\";p=\"53950)</div>
    Now that I think of it, you're right about the abscence of ash tray. Just another reason to love the Prius. I hate smokers.

6. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Actually, I would think the cup-holder ashtray would be an improvement. It seems easier to empty than having to wrangle it out of the old slide. At least, I'm assuming that's how it was emptied, since I don't smoke and never used it.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In our cars, we use the ashtray to keep gas receipts lol. But yes, in the 2005 Camry, they took away the front ashtray/lighter in lieu of a covered storage compartment. Oddly enough, the rear doors have ashtrays too. Are those carried over to the 05 Camry?

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pixie\";p=\"54268)</div>
    Either that or flick the ashes and flip the butts out the window so they don't have to empty the ashtrays. I agree that it would be easier to remove and empty (on the parking lot). Bummer to lose 1/2 the convenient cup holders though.

No, 2005 Camry doesn't have ashtrays in the rear doors, I just asked. :)

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm quite anti-smoking myself, but I do miss the coin-tray that the classic has - basically the ash-tray lined w/ felt.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :angel: Insofar as "no ashtray" in my Prius - Thanks Toyota.!!

Here's one very "Happy Camper" to live in Dallas Texas where smoking is banned in restaurants and public buildings. I am psychologically and physically allergic to cigarette and cigar smoke. Seems smokers almost always leave a nasty mess for others to clean up and leave burned upholstery and furniture in their wake. I have declined to purchase used autos in the past, those which stink as a result of being owned by a smoker. Other "favorites:" Those who toss lighted cigarettes out their car windows and empty their ashtrays in parking lots. How many acres of forest have been destroyed by careless smokers?

OK - OK - my 2¢ worth.

11. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt\";p=\"54327)</div>
    I know, the majority of smokers behave like it's their rights to litter the world w/ butts, to poison others w/ 2nd hand smoke. Did I mention that I hate smokers? :cussing:

12. rwithop

rwithop New Member

OK. My intent was not to bash smokers, although I agree whole-heartedly.

I was trying to point out that there is no garbage bin. Not only are we not polluting the air, but now we are not polluting the ground either.

:idea: Instead of tracking mpg, perhaps we should track how much less trash we are making. Or maybe we could turn the secret center console tray into a mini-recycling bin with separators for cans, bottles, and paper. :mrgreen:

OK. $5 to whoever posts a picture of their converted recycling bin.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rwithop\";p=\"53950)</div>
    Nope, Toyota didn’t think of everything.

On “Smoker Model†Prii, Toyota could have ported the exhaust pipe into the car to help clean & clear the interior air. :pukeright: :p

14. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do cars generally come standard with garbage bins nowadays??? (However, I find that the drawer at the bottom of the center console makes an excellent trash receptacle)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rwithop\";p=\"54336)</div>

15. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

I don't get it why people smoke. They always make those horrible faces when inhaling. Here's one :x . If it tastes soo bad to inhale, why do it in the first place. I hate smokers too, but usually smokers are kinda loosers. I don't care if they shorten their life, better them than me, less smokers. God, don't they get the hint.
    Look little guys showing the results of smoking (eventually puking out their lungs)
    :D :) :eek: :( :? :x :pukeright: :pukeleft:

16. prius04

prius04 New Member

Number one... I'm also glad there is no ash tray. It's about time this concept became mainstream. The first car that did this, I think, was the Delorean.

As for hating smokers.. I think this should be re-phrased. If smokers act responsibly, as most do, then whats to hate?

If they are not responsible, shouldn't it be the irresponsibility that you hate? Not THEM exactly?

Hate the behavior, never the person. (I'm assuming that you probably meant it this way, but that's not the way it was written in the post, and I personally think the distinction is important. Just my 2 cents.)

17. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

You know what I was saying. I kinda exaggerated there. I meant dislike.

18. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Firstly, I never prejudice against physically weak or impaired people but mentally weak ones like smokers? I dislike w/ a passion. They know that smoking is bad for them & for others around them but they just can't help it, so there is only one interpretation: They are too weak mentally speaking to break off the pathetic addiction and/or they are too weak to seek professional help. Either way, they're ... weak!

Secondly, smoking leads to & worsens countless diseases, not just lung cancer. Smoking suppresses one's immune system and drive up the medical cost for EVERYONE in the end.

Thirdly, forgive me but I kinda dislike stupid people too. Let's see, smokers pay $$ to support cigarette companies which intentionally & shamelessly lied to the public about nicotine's addictive nature for so many years and smokers still support these murderers? What do you call that again?

Forthly, this one is very personal. I once had this unfortunate one-in-a-lifetime chance to kiss a chain-smoking gal. OH-MY-GOD! I had this urge to use to the toilet brush to rinse her oral cavity.

But it's your life & my opinion, so I'm sure that we can all get along.

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what I dislike read hate is the damn smoke has been inside them. I don't even want to know them and now I'm breathing something that has been inside thier bodies. Gross

20. Jeri

Jeri New Member

The ash try would go unmissed. Now if they forgot the coffee cup holder, I'd be desperate. In my Tacoma, they put the cup holder BEHIND the passenger seat where the driver couldn't possibly reach it. I had to do some personal retrofitting to make my own cup holder that is held onto the center console with velcro. With no cigarette lighter, where do you plug in your cell phone charger?