1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no brakes after driving over pot holes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by shar1950, Aug 15, 2018.

1. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a problem with my 2010 Prius brakes. When apply the brakes and I hit any type of uneven pavement or pothole....I momentarily loss my brakes. I had the car in to a dealership a few years back to have the same issue fixed, it was a recall for a ABS system or some computer issue with the brakes. Now 3 year later that same issue is back....

The dealer wants to charge me a full price of a diagnostic to have the issue looked at again ,even though it was a recall problem with this car.

Looking for advise on what I should do ??

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi ,

Don't pay the dealer anything. You've just discovered one of the most-commonly-asked-about Prius quirks, having to do with the way the brakes transition from regeneration to ABS when the car thinks it might have to in a hurry. You haven't lost your brakes, but for a split second it feels like it. There is more explanation in this post.

This has been common to every Prius all the way back to the first generation. When I bought my first one, the advice given to me here was to go drive on some potholey roads and make it happen until it was familiar and no longer startling, and that's still the best advice.

Now, as far as the 2010 recall, there were some 2010s where the effect was more noticeable/intrusive than it had been in Gen 1 and 2, and the recall was a software update to tone it down a little. You can certainly check whether you've got the updated version, and have them reflash it for free if you haven't.

Cheers,
    -Chap

3. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I still get my wife with that. And the ICE dying at traffic lights. One local road in particular, I get to do both the “no brakes” and “now it’s dead” back to back. It’s funny to me, but she’s not thrilled at all. LoL

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    According to the thread subject, it sound like your brakes didn't work anymore after pothole. Edit subject line please.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Drive around potholes.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In some states, it seems like I'm always around potholes.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In some states, the potholes could swallow a car:eek:.

8. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    after reading the " in this post " , I think I will not be wasting my money to have them tell me that they can not find anything wrong with the braking system.

thanks for info

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    push harder!