1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Brakes on Start up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Themsah, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Themsah

Themsah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Guys. Quick back story before I get to my main issue. I have an 08 That I have owned since new and now has 190k miles on it. I was pretty active in this forum when I first got the car but it has probably been 8 years or so since I have logged in (hence the new account). I tried searching for related threads but found nothing. So on with the story.

In the past 60 days or so, my car has had all of the CEL come on. It still drives great. except for once in a while when I first start it up in the morning it has no brakes. The pedal feels mushy and if I put it in gear to quickly it will just start rolling. This literally only lasts about 20-30 seconds then the pedal slowly builds pressure and works fine.
    I have had the local auto parts store try and connect the scanner to it, but they cant retrieve any codes. Possibly because they are ABS codes and their scan tool sucks.

I assume there is something wrong with a braking assist system somewhere. I am constantly hearing that clicking sound from the front of the car. I used to only hear it when I stepped on the brakes or after the car was off. Now it is constant. I assume that is some sort of pump that build pressure or vacuum in the system?

Thanks for the advice

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    go to the dealer, there's a recall on the brake system

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome back!

i guess start with the trouble codes at a toyota dealer. brakes aren't something you want to guess at.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A MiniVCI (search the discussions here) will get the codes. It sounds like you have a brake accumulator pump issue. It should make a whirring sound on start up and sometimes when you step on the brake.

JeffD