1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No codes, Stutter/shudder sound when foot on brake (video of noise)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ScottHz, Jan 15, 2024.

1. ScottHz

ScottHz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When my sister has her foot on the brake of her 2011 Prius Three (121,500 miles), there is a shuddering sound that I’ve never heard from our Gen2 or Gen3 Priii that have over 150k.

https://youtube.com/shorts/RaTKb5yloAM?si=r0k4GIHMD3MdZ6XI

No codes, and national service center chain in Raleigh, NC is unsure:
    Technician Notes/Recommendations:
    1.Initial Diagnostics perform verified suspicious noise and uncomfortable feeling brake pedal. Further Diagnostics performed is unable to verify with 100% that the master cylinder / control unit is failing. Normal codes that would be present for this or not in system at this time. But based on all symptoms
    repair needed would be the master cylinder assembly unit. will need to recheck system after repairs
    Quote is for “Remove & Replace Hyd Power Brake Pump” $913 parts, $1096 labor (national name brand service center in Raleigh, NC)

#1 ScottHz, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow that's interesting in Raleigh North Carolina so are they there looks like they're only replacing one part in this two-part system I'd have to do more diagnostics personally. You say the brake pedal feels funny so when this noise is happening do your brakes feel very hard pedal and very little stopping until you get like two feet on the brakes type of thing? Generally in this car you're going to want to be replacing both of those 748 items or thereabouts so about $1,500 in parts The thousand labor whatever seems a little bit high but that's just me I don't think book well I don't want to say what I think about the book I'm not sure what the book pays for this these two pieces are not that bad to get at as Prius go that noise is very familiar to me from my generation too that little pump that's below and behind your brake reservoir It's a little funny looking thing I have break actuator problems right now in an '08 and that thing hammers like a radiator in an old house with a boiler and it sounds just like your car right now but I don't think the generation 3 has that I'll call it a booster pump it seems to be for the rear brakes or something I haven't really delved into it but I know that my brake actuator is bad on the generation too and when that's fixed it will probably stop making that other pump go crazy that's my guess.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably try to bleed the brakes and see if anything improves, but it sure sounds like you're on your way to a new brake booster

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't let that service center work on your car... Find someone who actually has basic competence to diagnose and repair. These jokers are just going to charge you a fortune replacing the most expensive parts and based on what they're saying it's just them guessing, not diagnosing.