1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No dashboard key fob slot in C. What to do?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Larry Greenwald, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have just noticed that my C4 does not have a slot on the dashboard to insert the Smart Start key. What do you do when the battery in the key fob runs so low (or out) so that the car won't recognize the signal and you need to get in and around somewhere?

I had this issue once in a while with my '05, where the battery got low or some outside radio signal was interfering with the communication, requiring 1) the use of the manual key, 2) inserting the key fob into the slot so the car would start. My key fob on my C4 does have the manual entry key, but no place to insert it.

Also, when leaving the car at the car wash, I would leave the key in the slot so the workers could start the car up to move it as needed.

2. HotDogWater

HotDogWater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i received a notice with an elastic band around my steering column that detailed this when i picked up my car. basically you hold the fob against the power button for a few seconds and you'll be able to start the car (it's powered through induction at this close of a range, so it doesn't need batteries). you should be able to find this in your manual as well.

also, you could probably just leave the key on the seat at the car wash.

minkus likes this.
  3. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep! Hold the FOB next to the power button. You won't need to worry about it for a few years and b y that time,
    you'll have forgotten anyways :ROFLMAO:

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  4. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, my car is less than a year old, but I had the red warning light on the fob in May and had to swap out the battery (easy to do!) You never know where that battery has been by the time it gets to you...

5. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Great to know thanks!

6. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The light on the fob is not a battery low warning light. It just confirms operations.

If the key battery is detected to be low when you switch off the car, a buzzer will beep, the warning indicator will flash and "KEY BATTERY LOW" will appear on the display.

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  7. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting, as I had not seen it before this May and had had the car since last July- it was also on when I was far away from the car (steady blinking only) which did make me assume it was a low battery light for the fob- there was no warning from the car.

I had extra batteries around, and the light went away when changed, but I still get the normal flash when engaging it...thanks though!

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Batteries are cheap. Replace them every year or two.

Problem solved.