1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"No external connection found"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rancid13, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A couple hours ago, when I started my car up as I was going to lunch, a prompt came up on the mfd which read something to the effect of "No external connection found".

My first assumption was that it had something to do with Bluetooth not being able to connect (although that prompt says something like "Bluetooth could not connect"). But then 10 seconds later, I got a prompt saying that my Bluetooth connection was successful.

Any idea what the initial prompt means? I couldn't find any mention of it in my manual, but perhaps I didn't do a thorough enough job of looking it up. My car ran and operated normally, as did all of the audio and climate control functions. Nothing looked to be out of sorts and no warning lights/prompts throughout the course of my lunch hour while operating the car. Temps are in the low 80's here today if that helps with anything.

:huh:

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I seem to remember seeing the same message when I test drive the Prius last year. The salesman was saying that's because the "stuff" in the car is not connected. Maybe a connection problem?

Have you try all the electronics in the car? Try the Nav and lights too?

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a total shot in the dark, but maybe it has to do with the Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors?

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Does your car have WiFi?

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I thought maybe it had to do with your XM, but according to the manual, that is not one of the error messages (although they do not always list everything).

I did test the cell phone and you are right, it say "Bluetooth Connection Failed".

I do seem to remember getting another cell phone error message when a call can't connect...and it has happened one in a while even when I have not been trying to make a call (usually at startup...maybe interference from another bluetooth unit?). But I do not remember the exact message.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm giving this thread a *bump* to increase the odds that Galaxee sees it.

7. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting.

All the controls work fine~the lights, navi, radio, bluetooth, etc. It was just that momentary prompt that came up on the screen just a couple seconds after I started the car (er, pushed the power button) then went away, never to be seen again.

I'm not sure if I have WiFi, I'm a techno-idiot so I'm not even sure what that is really; I don't have anything connected to the car electronically or otherwise other than the XM radio connection; no ipods or mp3's or even cell phones plugged in anywhere.

galaxee, you out there? Where's my fellow black Prius driving chick?

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 7 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]282614[/snapback]</div>
    That was me being a smartass :) WiFi is wireless internet- not in cars yet (although I read that Bill Gates has it in his car)- perhaps in the next generation Prius!

9. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jul 7 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]282670[/snapback]</div>
    Aha! You fooled me with a trick question. :p

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that was one of the messages that people got with the "dreaded MFD failure" issue if memory serves me right. Just keep an eye on it and if it's combined with other issues like unable to get to the climate screen or adjust the radio/stereo volume and it's becoming an issue more often it's time for a dealer visit.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, frank's right. that's the message that people were seeing... but with an 06?? ay, let's hope it was a fluke. did it say something about the air conditioner?

i'm here... waaay out here... in wisconsin for the past week so i've been rather disconnected lately. i've got a laundry list of tech things once home so here's one more ;)

19 hours on the road tomorrow... plus time zone change... someone shoot me. :rolleyes: