1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No front brakes!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ShaneWhittiker, Nov 10, 2016.

1. ShaneWhittiker

ShaneWhittiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I changed the brake pads on my wifes prius, noticed there was a leak in the passenger's side rubber piece of the brake caliper. But I couldn't buy just that piece. So I put a new brake caliper on it. Now after topping off the brake fluid. Bleeding the lines several times, and double checking that I put everything back together as it should be, the ABS light with exclamation point is on and the e-BRAKE light is on and when I push on the brakes to stop the back brake squeals to a stop but it's as if the front brakes are not even trying to work. Any thoughts on why? The brakes have pressure.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How did you bleed the brakes? Prius brakes can’t be bled the way that traditional car brakes could. Front brakes can be bled by pulling couple of relays from the fuse box (+depressurizing) and then bleeding old fashioned way.

But if you tried bleeding the system wrong you might have gotten air into some other part than front brake line or caliber. To get air bled from any other place you need Techstream.

Mini-VCI is cheap and good if you want to do this yourself.

Paul Schenck and andrewclaus like this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ditto the above. Bleeding the brakes on a Prius is the one thing a dealer should probably do unless you have Techstream with a MiniVCI and know how to use it. This would be a good time to bleed the whole system if it hasn't been done before.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How odd! It looks like you can still get the rubber kit for a 2004 (same as fits 2001-03, did they still use the cast iron caliper in the earliest Gen 2s?), and for Gen 3, but for 2005-09 it has gone no-longer-available? Wth, Toyota? 2009s aren't even eight years old yet!

-Chap