1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Heat: Coolant Pumps During Main Mode, Not While Running

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Marcilla Smith, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Marcilla Smith

Marcilla Smith Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is for a 2011 with 215K on the dash.

Heat went out a week ago. To troubleshoot, I:
    1. Backflushed the heater core with 2 gallons of water/white vinegar. Some debris came out which appeared to be from some head gasket sealer, but all in all, it was not so bad.

2. Hand-pumped about 2 gallon through the system and back into the reservoir to check for any obvious debris or blockages, but the coolant appeared ok except for some air bubbles.

3. Bled the coolant by elevating the corner with the reservoir on the jack, then running maintenance mode through 2 fan cycles (approx 25-30 mins) with the cap off. Significant air was expelled in the first cycle with little to none in the second. The coolant flow seemed to indicate that the water pump and thermostat are functioning adequately. I then closed the cap back up and drove on the interstate for 6 miles, turned on the heat, and drove back another 6. Still no heat.

4. After cooling down enough to remove the tray under the wipers (~30 mins), started the car and turned the heater up to 80. The blower cranked up to like 5 out of 7 bars, but was still blowing cold air. The ICE only came on for about 2 mins before shutting back off. I felt both hoses get a little warmer - the input warmer than the output - but not like "hot." Most notably, watching the coolant reservoir, I never saw the coolant getting pumped. Typically, the blower speed lags when the motor is cold until it has a chance to reach sufficient temperature, but the blower came on immediately at 3 bars with the climate control set to 72, even though the car had sat for at least a half hour while I took the front end apart.
    On the Reddit - as I've seen in this forum as well - someone suggested that the water pump can "partially fail." Could a partial failure of the water pump cause it to run in maintenance mode, but not during normal operation? And if so, should my next step be to replace the water pump (and thermostat?)? Or, is there something else that is more likely the culprit for my lack of heat (heater core valve? blend door? temperature sensor?)?

As I bought the vehicle used, I don't know when/if the water pump may have been replaced previously.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not believe there is a heater valve, I think it's just a door flap that open to allow air to
    pass over the heat core. That my not be working. Check that first.

The radiator may also be clogged if someone used the so called head gasket sealer.
    It's just a hole plugger, any and all holes! Radiator, hoses, head, block..... horrible!

CAREFULLY remove the water pump, after of course removing the coolant.
    And drain into a clean container so you can reuse it.

There is a clip that holds the empeller on, or is ti an "O" ring? Crap, I forget!
    But you'll see it. But first spin it and see how much resistance there is. It should
    spin fairly easily. If you remove it, you'll see the magnet part might be cracked.
    That will keep it from spinning.
    You can either buy a new pump, or just the empeller. Check ebay, that's where I
    bought mine.

If you fill the system S L O W L Y, a little at a time, you'll hear it draining to the bottom.
    It will take longer, but you won't have to spend days trying to get any air out.

Filling slowly, and a little at a time, will give the air a chance to escape as the coolant fills.
    No need for maintainence mode.
    Fill to the "B" line on the tank. Start the car and wait for the engine to stop running.
    Top off to the FILL line it needed, put the cap on and drive the car around the block a few
    time ensuring you keep the engine running so it can heat up. Park the car on level ground
    and wait 10-15 minutes then check coolant level.

People fill way too fast and that causes air pockets.... I've done my Prius about 4 times and
    have not had a problem. It's how I've filled the other hundreds of other cars I've done coolant
    work on and never had a problem with air in the system.

Marcilla Smith likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do you know sealer was used or is this car new to you? I have heard of heater core and radiator clogs with sealer.

I like to monitor the water temperature all the time and especially during a coolant flush.

I agree with dogman’s technique for filling the coolant and agree maintenance mode is not needed.

Just normal warmup with the heat on. If the coolant is flowing after a normal warmup and you are not overheating the engine, the water pump is unlikely to be bad. I use a light on the reservoir to see the flow from the bottom hose.

Prius P10 Scanner.jpeg

I have seen unusual heat buildup using maintenance mode that went away after. Not sure what the issue was but it may have needed supplemental forced air through the radiator. This was in the summer. You should have the AC off in maintenance mode.

Obviously the heater blend doors could be an issue but you can usually hear the blower airflow change as you cycle through modes.

Attached Files:

#3 rjparker, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Brian1954 and Marcilla Smith like this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Electric water pumps in Gen3 are easy to swap out... Also check all the related fuses and monitor your coolant temp with Bluetooth OBD2 reader and a phone app like Car Scanner (ELM).

5. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for your replies!

You're talking about the "blend door"? How would I test that?

I alread dug out my old knockoff Techstream cable to try to test this, but I need to get it to play nice with Windows 11. Anyone managed this?

Are you saying a clogged radiator could cause the heater to stop working, or do you mean the heater core?

Yes, sorry, I know it is a sin, but seemed a lesser sin than the "earthquake in an anvil factory" that was happening otherwise.

Ok, but like I said, I backflushed the heater core with 2 gallons of water/white vinegar, and while some debris did come out, it wasn't significant and it ran clear by the end.

Ok, but like I said, I only saw the coolant flowing when in maintenance mode, and not while idling with the heat on.

Do you mean "the top hose"? Looking through the side of the reservoir, I can see when the coolant is and isn't flowing from the top hose. How would someone do this from the bottom hose?

I'm not sure I follow. If I leave the temperature constant and push the "mode" button to cycle through, I can hear the actuator, but that is to route the air between the floor, vents, etc., isn't it, and not the blend door? Alternatively, if I leave the mode constant and cycle the temp from "hi" to "lo," I don't think I hear anything.

Does that mean it's the blend door?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah this'd be good to know. Considering the miles and symptoms, and assuming it's new to you, probably head gasket is being held together by sealant.

I'd adresss the head gasket first, then clean the EGR.

The water/vinegar flush is a good tactic for at least one of the head gasket sealants, is recommended by it's manufacturer..

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you say “backflushed two gallons” do you mean directly in and through the heater core?

Has any bypass or closing off of the coolant hoses around the egr cooler, exhaust heat recirculation or throttle body happened? The heater flow bypasses a closed thermostat but does go through those items, which could also be clog points.

Since your sealer is sealing your head gasket leak at thousands of degrees it could seal flow in the heater core or in the flowpaths to the heater.

I put a led flashlight on the side of the reservoir to illuminate the pink coolant and can see the flow from the bottom hose. If the car is not overheating there should be flow. There is bypass to the heater all the time.

One of the blend doors simply reroutes airflow to the heater core. Techstream can test that servo as well as verifying various coolant, ambient and cabin temps.

IMG_4287.jpeg
    IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4295.jpeg

Best bet on bootleg Techstream is to buy an old xp or win7 laptop, maybe with a ssd instead of a hard drive, disable WiFi and install your copy.

#7 rjparker, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I gave up on losedoz decades ago. My had given me an old losedoz laptop and I purchased
    techstream. But I contacted the seller and he logged into the laptop and spend almost 3 hours
    to get it to work!!!
    A few months back I was able to purchase and "open box" of the XTool D8, for $400.
    I couldn't pass it up! It's very nice, and fast!

The blend door has been explained...
    EVERYthing clogged with the stuff! It's horrible! It should be against the law to sell it!
    If the radiator is clogged, very likely, enough hot coolant won't flow through the heater core.
    You'll have to check ALL the hoses and passages in the coolant system. NOT FUN!
    You've cleaned the heater core, but there are other parts to clean also.
    If those hoses are not getting hot, coolant is not getting there.
    The coolant pump is fairly easy to remove and install and won't cost anything to check.
    Except maybe the gasket, about $10

If you don't see coolant flowing, suspect the coolant pump!

There are doors to direct the flow of air to the different vents. Then there is ONE to direct air
    through the heater core to provide heat to the vents. You may hear it moving, or attempting to move,
    but if it's broken or the actuator is not working correctly, air won't pass over the heater core.

You have several options and things to check, we can't do it for you. Search Prius Chat and you can
    find how they checked them.

9. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: Last night, I was headed down the interstate when I got a "Check Hybrid System" on the dash - along with a bunch of other lights - which eventually shut any power to the wheels down. After letting it sit, I limped it off the interstate to a gas station where I pulled the ground wire to reset the computer. After that, I drove it 12 miles (on surface streets) without codes or other issues, idled it overnight (I'm a Prius-dwelling nomad), and drove it an additional 15 miles today, still with no codes or other incident.

Prius Dash error.jpg

Additionally, I took it to AutoZone and had them test the 12V for good measure.

Thank you for additional responses, which I will address...

I guess it's all relative, and certainly compared to working on my old 3 series BMW...

The horror... the horror...

:: Adagio for Strings plays while thousand yard stare ::

I mean, I'd love to, but it seems to be holding for now :: crosses fingers :: and I'll be in a much better place to address it if I can get some heat in the meantime!

Exactly - at the ports that pass through the firewall.

Not by me. Are you recommending I do so?

Mercy! I don't even know which version of the cable I have at this point, and probably need to start from scratch, if I go that route.

I assume these are sellers you're referencing? Where's the best place to start (over) for an aftermarket Techstream?

Ok, granted. As I said, however, I hand-pumped coolant through the return hose into the reservoir without much effort, as well as I see the coolant flowing when in maintenance mode, but not under normal conditions with the heater on. What about this makes you think there's a clog (as opposed to needing a new water pump)?

On this I think we've found agreement (assuming that "coolant pump" and "water pump" are the same thing). Except, if I'm going in there, ideally I'd like to flush, drain, replace the water pump and thermostat, refill, pray a decade of the rosary, and see what happens.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Autozone doesn't know how to check the 12v battery for a Prius.
    Forget maintainence mode.
    The radiator and waterpump are what you need to check into, and thermostat.
    1 or all 3 are likely clogged.

You said you put stop leak in the cooling system.... You said the heator core was clogged.
    The heater core is just a smaller radiator.

Water pump is an older term. 99.9% of the systems are a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
    I just use coolant instead of water.

In maintenance mode it might run the pump at full speed, because it's moving enough so
    you can see it,that's why you see it moving.
    But under "normal" conditions, It doesn't flow as fast, so you don't see it. If the plastic covering
    on the empeller is cracked or swollen, it will stick, so it can't move fast enough.

Anything in the coolant system that has little ports or passages, will get "sealed" with stop leak.
    That's what it does. It doesn't know the difference between the failed head gasket or radiator.
    That's why it's so bad. And you must go over the WHOLE system to clean it out.

Ok, granted. As I said, however, I hand-pumped coolant through the return hose into the reservoir without much effort, as well as I see the coolant flowing when in maintenance mode, but not under normal conditions with the heater on. What about this makes you think there's a clog (as opposed to needing a new water pump)?

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1. Head gasket problem temporarily resolved with sealant.

2. Heat stopped working

3. No hybrid compatible scanner much less Techstream

4. Car just went into limp mode on freeway resolved with a 12v cycle

5. Live in car and use continuous Ready even after limp mode episode.

6. Can’t afford repairs right now.

No. The point is the heater loop includes the catalytic converter coolant heat exchanger, egr cooler and other devices. Let’s say for argument the cat was removed or stolen and all of it was bypassed with heater hose flow blocked.

There are no aftermarket Techstream options. Just technically illegal and hard to install Techstream hacks that use the mini-vci hardware interface. There are other scanners that are reasonable ($35) for a majority of the trouble codes. Like the “Car Scanner” phone app with a Bluetooth interface.

Realize even the gold standard legal Techstream does not fix anything but can point the diagnosis in the right direction. However what Techstream or a hacked version can do are “active” tests where the tech can command the devices on, off or some percentage.

In your case the air mix door or the water pump can be tested. An XTool D8BT for $539 after coupon or Techstream can do this level of testing.

Based on real world experience the head gasket sealer is typically a 1-3 month fix. After that things will get progressively worse.

If the engine burns oil or loses coolant now it is just a question of how soon and how bad. Typically an engine replacement is the best solution for a vehicle you depend on for transportation and shelter.

See attached
    IMG_4304.jpeg IMG_4305.jpeg IMG_4303.jpeg

Attached Files:

#11 rjparker, Feb 16, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
    Marcilla Smith and Brian1954 like this.
  12. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the sake of clarity, when I backflushed the heater core, there was debris which came out. While this debris could have been clogging the heater core, it also could have been free-floating through with the coolant. I can't say.

That makes sense, and I suspect that may be the case, based on twice when running maintenance mode and getting a harsh, squealing noise after some time.

Yes, it's true, I have not yet found a sentient stop leak product (but give it a few years and maybe... ).

As I understand it, stop leak for head gaskets is typically based on suspending silica in the coolant. Therefore it remains fluid except where the coolant encounters exhaust gasses, which evaporate the coolant, leaving the silica to harden into glass - no sentience required.

That having been said, I think there's a possibility that even under this assumption, some lesser amount of coolant could evaporate, allowing some amount of silica to congeal without blocking the hole for which it was intended, or could break off after forming at the hole for which it was intended, leaving a larger clump floating in the coolant line which could then create a clog.

All accurate except that I could afford the repairs, if I had to. However... can anyone truly afford to pass on an opportunity to evolve herself through the process of DIY Prius repairs? :: rubs chin ponderingly ::

Thank you for the concern. I'm happy to report that visual inspection confirmed the presence of my cat.

Thank you for the recommendation. But why not the OBDLink MX+?

Ok, now I think you might be trolling me. I mean, why just replace the motor, and not the whole vehicle?

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    replacing the engine is 1 tenth the cost of a new vehicle...

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That was just an example (“let’s say for argument”) of where the heater flow could be blocked. Also the egr cooler, thermostat bypass, engine ports etc.

The Obdlink is just the hardware interface to a separate phone app. All of which lack sufficient bidirectional control to solve serious issues. The XTool model is a hardware and software solution that is very close to the Toyota Techstream standard.

I was not trolling when I said “If the engine burns oil or loses coolant now it is just a question of how soon and how bad. Typically an engine replacement is the best solution…” which is my routine recommendation if

Yes sometimes a $5k replacement car seems like a better solution than a similarly priced rebuilt replacement engine if… but assuming the car is otherwise in good shape I would replace the engine.

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is an example of stop leak clogging the coolant reservoir. This is a big opening and never higher than 240f worse case, normally 185f when the thermostat opens.. Many paths are much smaller.

IMG_4414.jpeg IMG_4415.jpeg

16. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please excuse me that I wasn't more clear earlier.

What I mean to say is that when I weigh my options, this is what I see:

1. Buy a (2024) new Prius - Yay, it's new, but depreciation, etc.
    2. Buy a recent used Prius - a quick check of CL shows a 2019 for $20K and another one for $5K down, both with remaining powertrain warranty periods.
    3. Buy an older used Prius - I see some still available for under $3K.
    4. Replace the motor - costs as much or more as a down payment on something that still has a warranty, and maybe twice as much as rolling the dice on another used Gen 2 or 3, while still being a roll of the dice as well.
    5. Bars Leak it for as long as I can - this may last only a few weeks, but it's also only $20 a shot. It may mean more frequent water pump changes and ultimately destroy the motor, but may be mitigated by chasing the Blue Devil with an oil change and coolant flush and change.
    Than again, a new head gasket may take care of everything... until it goes out as well... assuming the head isn't warped... or cracked... or the block...

It just seems to me to go for the simplest fix and see how it holds. And if it doesn't, i just can't see replacing the motor, when the replacement could be just a few months away from the same result that could happen from Bars Leak.

Options 3-5 all seem like a roll of the dice. So if I'm rolling, I'll put $20 more Blue Devil in it, until I see how that goes, and then save the motor money to use as a down payment on something with a remaining powertrain warranty.

17. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... unless, of course, I find one of those little, independent, Prius mechanics who can do the job for under $4K... which I did, and now I will have to add a review of ISH Hybrids to let others know.

And yet :: overly dramatic pause :: I still have no heat.

So, I guess I'll go looking for more info on the blend door...

EDIT: ... and I'll find so very little about it, that I'm halfway convinced it's a conspiracy - no videos on YT, and no explanations on here or elsewhere.

So my question is: have I just somehow overlooked them, or is this something that is probably beyond my skill level, and before I travel onward, I should see about getting this mechanic I found to do the work?

#17 Marcilla Smith, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, please do. They do engine swaps? Head gaskets too? How about EGR cleaning? Location?

19. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. "Japanese engine with low miles," he says.

Hollywood, Florida - 3625 Pembroke Road, 33021
    Ish Hybrids website
    954.801.5434 (M)

"Yes I do everything on these cars," he said, when I sent him your questions.

------------

So, any ideas on accessing the blend door? It's been a few years since I took a dash apart - and that was to get to the display on a Gen 2. Any ideas on where I go to see how to get to the blend door actuator?

Or, should I even be looking at the blend door? It occurs to me that it could be a sensor issue, as well. My climate control display currently reads "outside - 73," although the weather channel says it's 80. Still, if I set it to "MAX," that shouldn't even matter, should it? I think it's gotta be the blend door.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somewhere on Prius Chat it's said that there is an actuator that goes bad, or gets
    disconnected.