1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No heat on driver's side, no amps in pump relay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by studiodaybreak, Oct 17, 2023.

1. studiodaybreak

studiodaybreak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

Newbie to this thread, but not totally new to troubleshooting on my car. Gen 2 (2008) 1.5l, for reference. Any help is appreciated.

The issue: I noticed a couple weeks ago that I wasn't getting hot AC in the cabin - it was only blowing cool even when set to high temp. I flushed the coolant and refilled in an attempt to burp any trapped air. I also changed the thermostat and the hot water pump sensor. I also noticed that when I removed the hot water pump relay in the relay box on the cowl that I am getting no amp reading on my multimeter when I attempt to jump it. However, I am getting a pump noise (just no reading on the meter).

After putting it all back together, and running in maintenance mode, then driving, I do get warm air (even hot) when the AC option is turned off but the temp is set to high. When I turn the AC option back on, the passenger side is getting warm air but the driver side is not.

Two questions or concerns:
    1) perhaps the blend door actuator is stuck or otherwise not working well
    2) why am I getting no amp readin at all when jumping the hot storage tank/pump, even though it is making a normal sound when the multimeter is inserted?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If I heard the heat pump running I guess that's the one between the break actuator and the firewall portion of the brake that little spa-like pump right there just sitting there mounted actually to the brake actuator bracket assembly. You put your hand on it and you feel it running I wouldn't worry about my amps or I would think I'd be checking for voltage at the plug but thing probably runs it milliamps. If you have access to the Toyota software you can look at the heat recovery tank and all that business and you can see the temperature in that tank so on and so forth I think that's what helped feed your heating system and all that. And it probably is the blend door like you say that's not getting your stuff over to the other side of the car seems reasonable that door has to be able to move to put the air where instructed to go.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know what meter you are using, but it's either faulty or user error.

That said, the relay in the cowl relay box controls the Coolant Heat Storage pump. That pump doesn't do anything for heater operation. There is another electric pump that mounts behind the inverter.

This is the heater (A/C) pump. The hybrid control ecu switches this via a relay inside (internal to) the underhood fuse block.

Here's a pic with the inverter removed. DSC_8363.JPG

As far as heater function, maybe the heater core is still air bound or partially clogged. (Also, unless you're trying to "defrost" the windshield, why run A/C when you want hot air?)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#3 mr_guy_mann, Oct 18, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That looks like a really early 04 or something mine is the same location but the pump looks a little different course it's an '09 but my '07 and '08 look the same It's similar to that looks like the little spa pump that you got there but the front end I think on mine is not squared off like that with those kind of screws but the same pump I think this is the 14.1 volt pump and the pump that looks very similar to this if not exactly in the fender for the coolant tank thingy is 12 volt I have pictures of both the stickers on both of the pumps. I'm using the 14 volt one from another car for inverter duty on my '09 It's been connected now for about a year and runs flawlessly whether it's supposed to be there and do that or not Don't care but it works wonderfully and it probably will never break is the point that's why I put it there.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's on my 06. Whatever it is, Toyota is VERY proud of it. A new Toyota part 87200-47030 lists for something in the $650-700 range.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Damn. Well I've got a box full of them here I take them off every car that comes through here that's getting dismantled I generally want the one that's marked 14.1 volts I think it's the one that's between the brake pieces the one that's on the coolant tank is the 12 volt I used one for a project and it failed very quickly Not sure why the 14 volt one has been running steady as an inverter pump in an '09 car for about a year now You can't even hear it run It moves the water a bit faster than the pancake pump . But not enough to upset the balance of anything.