1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. boriqua9719

boriqua9719 New Member

Within the past week, I have begun to experience the red warning triangle while driving in the 1st 10 minutes of starting vehicle (the warning is for temperature) and then goes away after about 15 seconds. At about the same time, I've lost all heat in the cabin. The radiator and thermostat have been replaced, but still the same symptoms. Has anyone experienced similiar? Could there be air in the system? Coolant level seems to drop overnight as I have been refilling each time.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You shouldn't have to refill the fluid. Do you find any spills on the floor? It must be going somewhere. Air in the system will cause trouble, but I'm bothered about your need to refill on a regular basis. You need to get your Prius into the shop.

Tom

3. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wonder if they tested the thermostat before they installed it? It is not uncommon for a mechanic to take out the old thermostat, put it next to the new one, and accidentally put the old one back in. I learned a long time ago to drop the old thermostat in boiling water to test it and to do the same for the new one to make sure they open properly.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *moved to troubleshooting forum*

5. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are having to keep adding coolant, you got a leak! Perhaps it is small enough not be be noticed as it may dry as fast as it leaks. If you have no heat your coolant is to low.

I wouldn't drive the car AT ALL until I got it figured out. Head gasket, cracked block, any number of things could "eat" coolant and show little sign. None of them good. If the red triangle is showing up it just confirms what you know. I suspect that the ICE is over heating due to lack of coolant.

Icarus