1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No heated seats?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Davideo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Davideo

Davideo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I did a search, so I know I'm not the first to complain about this, but it seems odd to me that the Prius has a backup camera, and yet no heated seats. Since my wife has not received her Prius yet (promised "by Christmas") we have no experience here, but can you Prii owners tell me that we don't need heated seats? Something about the fact that the heater is electric, and heats up much quicker than an ICE car? I will be driving her to the train every morning (about a 2 mile drive) and her current Passat seats warm up nicely before the train station, although the heat is barely on by then.

On another note, from reading the threads here I already know to expect pretty lousy gas mileage from such a short commute this winter!

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

No, no heated seats so far.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's possible to install seat heaters to the OEM seats.

4. Davideo

Davideo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Dec 13 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]361503[/snapback]</div>
    I realize that. :D You don't list where you're from, but is it cold there? Does the Prius heater work quicker than a "normal" car?

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Dec 13 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]361505[/snapback]</div>
    If you install after market heated seats be careful to make sure that the heated seats can not be on unless the car is in "Ready" or you run the risk of a dead 12 volt battery which will strand you.

I decided that the risk was not worth it.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's actually pretty easy to set up any electronics to only work when the car is on - there are a number of hot leads that only activate when the car is on, and then can either be tapped directly for power( depending on power requirements) or used as a trigger to allow power to be drawn from another source. No risk involved, really, just a little extra effort.

And as for the question as to how well the heater works... I think it works fine. i have a 12 minutes commute, and the heater is capable of blasting out hot air within 5 minutes. However, be warned that running the heater will lower your mileage, as it draws heat away from the engine, forcing it to run and use gas to stay warm.

The prius A/C unit (controls both heating and cooling as a true air conditioner) is pretty good at doing its job. you set it to a certain temperature and just leave it. in the winter, it will hold off pumping air into the car until it can actually warm the air, which is pretty nice if you're coming from a heated garage into the blistering cold - the cabin is warmer than the air outside that would be pumped through the system.

7. Davideo

Davideo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]361529[/snapback]</div>
    So my dealer was BSing me that the heater is electric and heats up very quickly - quicker than a normal car? :angry:

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is an electric heater that's used until the ICE is warmed up. The electric heater isn't as good as the one from the ICE, but it helps.

9. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How funny... My daughter just complained about this very thing this morning on our commute in. It would be very nice to have heated seats.

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Why not get some sheepskin seat covers? That should help warm you up.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davideo @ Dec 13 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]361536[/snapback]</div>
    Define how quick a normal car is. The car i had before this took longer to heat up the cabin than the Prius, and the cabin was even smaller.

electric heaters are woefully inefficient - you can draw 2000 watts and not even be adequate to heat a small, 1 car garage. I haven't looked into the Prius heating system much, but it definitely does its job as well or better than any other car i've been in.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davideo @ Dec 13 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]361536[/snapback]</div>
    There is an electric heater but it's very small and it's only supposed to provide temporary heat as you wait for the engine to warm up and provide the main source of heat.

Just don't blast the temperature up. Keep it 70 and you should be fine. It worked well in the cold snap two weeks ago.

13. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davideo @ Dec 13 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]361536[/snapback]</div>
    Ours heats a good deal faster than our old 98 Subaru Outback did. And it's been cooooold here lately.

14. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 13 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]361585[/snapback]</div>
    The electric heater is only around 300 watts. I need to track it down in the service manual - with that low a wattage I can't imagine it is for anything other than the main battery (it needs to be warm for best operation) or for the defrosters. The average hair dryer is 1000 to 1500 watts, so this is really insignificant!

More importantly is the engine coolant thermos bottle. It jumps the coolant temperature by 20 to 30 degrees from ambient after parking overnight. That trims a couple of minutes off of warmup.

- Tom

15. Davideo

Davideo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for all the quick replies, everybody.

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]361555[/snapback]</div>
    In what way are they inefficient? They are 100% energy efficient. They convert 100% of the input energy into heat. Did you expect to get out more energy than you put in? Electric heat might be less cost efficient than gas, but devices which are 100% efficient are normally not referred to as "woefully inefficient".

In warmer climates a heat pump can heat a house using less electricity than an electric heater, but that's not generation of heat (just as air conditioners don't generate "cold"), that's moving it around.

17. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Dec 13 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]361663[/snapback]</div>
    To follow up on my own post, there are Two electric heaters in the cabin heater core of 165 watts each. That is a total of 330 watts. They are PTC heaters which means they control their own temperature by throttling back as they heat up. Here is a page from the technican training materials from Toyota's techinfo site:

[attachmentid=5908]

As they are in the heater core, they wouldn't have anything to do with warming the main battery. At 330 watts, they might help the defroster, but that's not much for keeping the cabin warm. A person of average weight is supposed to put out about 100 watts - how warm would you be with three adults in tha car and the engine off on a cold day? OK, it depends on consulting adults, lack of clothing, and appropriate sexual orientation for the given participants.

- Tom

Attached Files:

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you order the perforated leather from Katzkin, you can get both heated AND ventilated seats!

19. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Heated seats? Yeah those are nice, but I want cooled seats like a lot of luxury cars now have.

Call me greedy, but that's what I want! :p

20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought the heater might actually work like a home heat pump. After all, if there's a compressor for the AC, then all the parts are basically there to have a mini heat pump on the car. If you're not familiar with a heat pump, it's basically running the AC in reverse to provide heat. Seems like that would be more efficient than 300 watts of resistance heat. Wonder what the EV-1 and RAV4 EV did for heat?