1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No HID or VSC starting in August?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dstrout, Jul 12, 2005.

1. dstrout

dstrout New Member

Gaithersburg, MD (suburb of Washington, D.C.)
    Subject says it all. A local dealer told me that Toyota will not be offering HIDs or VSC starting with the cars made in August. Apparently won't be an option, either. Mumbled something about complying with some regs.

Any truth to that? I tend to wonder since it came up in the same conversation where I said "Gee, I'm on travel at the end of July, so I can't take delivery until the 1st week in Aug." Of course "the general public doesn't know this yet". :roll:

thanks,
    dave.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    HID contains mercury. I believe that may have something to do with it. Toyota's only allow to ship a certain percentage with the lights in order to meet limits. Funny though - the LCD screens have them as well in the flourescent tubes.

Others have speculated it could be a weight thing as well.

3. dstrout

dstrout New Member

So the information is acurate, then? They really are not making them with HID / VSC starting in Aug?

I wonder what the logic is in dropping the stability control?

dave.

4. unique2006

unique2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i will not order my 2006 if it doesnt have HID...its a MUST have for me

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the dealer you are talking to is just trying to make a sale today rather than get your business at a later date. So, sometimes they choose to spout falsehoods about the vehicle in order to get it out the door. He figures that HID and VSC are the selling points for you and as such he is using that to try to scare you into buying now because "Toyota is canceling those options."

I have not heard that those options are being canceled. In fact, why make the vehicle for this many model years and then drop two of the basic safety upgrade options that have made packages 4 and 6 so popular? Does that make a lot of sense? No!

I think this is dealer double speak. Find another dealer, call Toyota corporate and ask their representative about the next model year.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe this rumor started when a dealer (Diane at Carson Toyota) posted the same information in one of the Prius Yahoo Groups last year.

I don't believe there was ever any truth to the rumor, and now you've just got more people propagating the same bad information.

7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could live without HIDs but NEVER stability control. My vote says it's a rumor.

8. prius04

prius04 New Member

In a few years, VSC will be so commonplace that it would be rare to find a car without it.

The very idea that Toyota would consider getting rid of it is preposterous.

Rick above did not say they were getting rid of the HID. However, his reasoning that it COULD happen does make sense.

However, I suspect this too is a hoax.

9. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could live without HIDs but NEVER stability control. My vote says it's a rumor.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't make sense to drop VSC. Even if it was to drop the price, that's dumb.

11. dstrout

dstrout New Member

I kinda figured that it was BS. Somehow I couldn't quite believe my luck that I had happened to start seriously shopping just before the change. :roll:

Anyway, much thanks. I can scratch one dealer off the list.

dave.

12. dstrout

dstrout New Member

I just had a tangential thought on this. Isn't it funny how the net has leveled the playing field on things like dealing with car dealers? Not only on checking out rumors, but also being able to see which local dealers have which inventory, costs of extended warranties, etc. without spending all weekend driving around town.

It's amazing what can happen when you can say "well I know that XYZ dealer down the street also has a couple of <insert model here> for <insert price here>, and he's closer to my house... Oh, and the dealer by my office has a gold and a white one. So where do we go from here?"

Information is power...

dave.

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A note - I never implied they were dropping it period as an option, just that a quota of HID equipped cars could have been met for the 2005 model year. I don't know the validity of the claim, and Dianne was the original source of info. There was more than one thread on this on Yahoo! and PC in the past.

Also - HID currently requires VSC for the auto-leveling headlights. The height sensor that VSC provides in the rear is also used by the HID ECU to level the lights based on the height of the rear of the car. I imagine that because it's a package deal, Toyota isn't breaking from the packages they've setup to include VSC w/o HID's. Perhaps that could change in 2006 if dropping HID was truly a reality? I couldn't imagine it is though.

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In Economics it's called "imperfect information". Perfect knowledge by consumers is a requirement of perfect competition. When imperfect information exists, sellers can take advantage of it, and charge a higher price. If perfect competition existed (and perfect knowledge), all dealers would have to charge the same price for a Prius and the extended warranty.

The Internet has enabled the motivated consumer to acquire nearly perfect knowledge, but plenty of less informed people still pay 100% markup on extended warranties and thousands more than they need to for a new car.

15. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe I read somewhere that Toyota/Lexus has a newer VSC called VSC2. Maybe that's what the dealer was referring to with slight of hand wording.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VDIM?

cause VSC (S = stability) is the newer version released a few years ago. VSC (S = skid) is the older version (2002 and older)

17. LuckyP

LuckyP New Member

It's true. Got to KBB or NADA. I haven't checked Edmunds though. Vehicles built in August or later will not have VSC or HID. Through dumb luck, I closed on a Prius June 30th with the VSC and HID. This package #6 is called BCA and the new package #6 (without) is BJI. That said, if anyone is looking to close on a new Prius be sure you check the dealers invoice and ascertain that it is the older package #6. The former being more desireable of course.

I wonder if they are going to reduce the price due to this? I doubt it!

18. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

This is not exactly on-topic, but what exactly is Vehicle Stability Control? How does it affect the handling of the car? I'm on the waiting list for a package #6 (specifically, I'm just waiting for my color; I'm picky) and of course it has VSC but I'm indifferent about that. I'd get a #5 if they were carried in CA, in fact, and that has no VSC or HID.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wth! How can you say that the rumor is true, then leave us hanging with a wimpy generic mention of a couple of auto sites.

WHERE ARE THE LINKS TO THE PROOF?!!!
    Before you make a bold statement like, “It’s trueâ€, provide us with links to the article(s) from which you get your information. Don’t expect everyone who reads your post to go on a scavenger hunt for the information! Be a hero and provide a link directly to the information!!!

I looked. I found nothing. I think you are full of hot air.
    Please prove me wrong.

20. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You didn't look hard enough. It's there.

They list a second #6 package with the letters "BJ" instead of "BC", with a price about $1k less than BC. Here is the exact text:

(August Production Only) Includes Front Head Curtain & Front Side Impact Air Bag Restraint System, Smart Key System, Garage Door Opener, Alarm System, GPS Navigation & JBL Premium AM/FM Stereo w/6-Disc CD Changer & Cassette.

I don't know how to interpret this. There's no package #4 w/o HID and VSC, but that could be explained by the fact that that's what package #3 is. Maybe this is a new package #6, and the current package #6 will become package #7 for 2006.

If it is true that HID and VSC won't be available, I still don't believe it 1) has anything to do with mercury content, or 2) that this is a permanent change. I'm more inclined to believe that this has something to do with reaching the end of production for a model year, and suppliers already producing revised parts for 2006 models that won't fit in the 2005s.

I mean, BMW must put more cars on the road with HIDs and VSC than Toyota, and I've never heard anything about them having to limit the number of cars that could be produced with those features.