1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Horn!! No power to buttons on the Steering Wheel!!!??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by svldvc, Jan 12, 2011.

1. svldvc

svldvc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi guys.
    I have a 2006 Prius.
    For some reaon I've noticed that the buttons on the steering wheel Do NOT glow and they do NOT work...:confused:

Horn doesnt work either!

And the light on the driver side door (for windows/lock/unlock) are NOT lit up either...?? It's all black and dark @ night.. :(

Is there a fuse/relay for these type of things?
    If so...where do I start looking?

I took off the Airbag from Steering wheel and removed steering wheel to double check everything...and everything looks good. No damage. Wires are all connected well etc.

Anyone please? :confused:

2. svldvc

svldvc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    broken wire in the spiral cable? maybe its not pluged in behind the steering covers

4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, sounds like a fault in the spiral cable (clock spring). Is the SRS light on (Airbag)? If it is, then I'd definitely bet on it!

5. homiejoe2

homiejoe2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So i finally made an account but can't post yet. Really need some help as this is time sensitive. Hopefully someone will see this and respond-
    Okay I've read a few threads about upgrading the stock prius horn. I think the wiring to my horn is incorrect.
    The stock prius horn comes with this connector (cant post the link b/c im new but the black and yellow standard connector)
    The single black wire that connects to the back of the connector was disconnected and parts of the plastic clip were chipped. I wasn't getting any sound when hitting the steering wheel.
    I didn't want to buy a new connector for $70 so i bought these aftermarket horns:

Instead of using both horns and the relay plug- i simply took the low tone horn and twisted the prius' black copper wire to one of the male spade connectors supplied in the pack above^ and used a twist on wire connector/cap. I grounded out the horn to the hood latch.
    Now- The horn works well- but only between 3-6 "beeps"- then it goes dead. But if I detach and then reattach the spade connectors to the horn it will again work between 3-6 "beeps".

Any ideas? Is there a short in the prius' black wire? Doesn't sound like a blown fuse to me...