1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No hybrid race between Toyota, GM, exec says

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 9G-man, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nothing really new here, but I find Lutz's comments interesting.
    How does he think the Volt will get back home, to it's electrical socket, when one "stays within" the fringe of it's "40 mile range".
    I find his toughts of "no gas" ability a little misleading.:D

The race between General Motors Corp. and Japanese rival Toyota Motor Corp. to produce a rechargeable car is meaningless because the companies' vehicle designs are so different, GM's top product executive said Thursday.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/08/28/business/NA-US-GM-Toyota-Hybrids.php

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi 9G...,

GM corporate communications has apparently decided that its not going to call the Volt a Plugin Hybrid, even though technically, that is what it is. They are going to call the Volt a REEV, which stands for "Range Extended Electric Vehicle".

GM has been calling the smaller battery version of what the Volt is a Series Hybrid car since at least 1979, when I saw one of the university research projects they supported. It was the exact same architecture as the Volt, but with a smaller battery. It used a Chevy Vega chasis, and a Yamaha 2 cylinder motorcyle engine as the prime mover.

Lutz is just going along with this marketing malarky.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Thanks for reminding me of my '72 Vega ... at 14 months? BOOM! NO more motor. If GM were to pay me off for that POS this year, at 5% interest over the years, they'd owe me $11,500.00 now.

At least 1979? Try 10 years earlier ... 1969 ... THAT'S how many years GM has been screwing this dog:

[​IMG]

Thanks for nothing GM.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a couple friends who are loving the Volt for its new technology and new approach to hybrid and electric vehicles.

I can't way to show them this 1969 Boys' Like scan. THANKS!

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Do you actually own that piece of newspaper, Hill ? You might compete with my dad-in-law for packrat of the year ! :)
    Thanks though -- awesome post.

Now that GM has made clear that the Volt REEV is different than a Prius PHEV, all is clear for the Volt to be first out the gate, and top of the top in everything in it's class.

Ahh, don't you love spin ?

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lutz is so quick to mention the Volt will go 40 miles on battery alone, something the coming Prius plug-in won't do. He just doesn't want to tell anyone the Volt won't go over 25 mph during those 40 miles. :p

Thanks for the post hill, that is so funny!

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've got a flat but curvy 1.1 mile stretch of low speed road that I do all on battery dropping only about 1 bar in either direction starting from a dead stop...makes me wonder what the Prius battery range is.

8. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Man, this guy is a spin master for sure. Paint the Volt as the best thing since sliced bread, and the Prius as old tech. Speak of it in the present tense as if it actually exists. Neglect to mention that the Prius is a much more sophisticated design that can do everything the Volt can (including run in pure serial hybrid mode) and that the only difference in range will be how each company decides to balance the cost vs. battery size equation. As I've said before, I think Toyota will sell a lot more 10 mile PHEVs at $25k than GM will 40 mile PHEVs at $40k. Consequently, Toyota's PHEVs will trim a lot more off our national fuel consumption despite their limited range since people will actually buy them.

Thanks for the scan hill, that is priceless!

Rob

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you follow his logic, Prius with an EV button is an electric car too. It just has 2 miles range before the range extender kicks in.

10. PoulStaugaard

PoulStaugaard Now a PriusOwner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "Lutz also stopped short of predicting when GM would return to profitability, but said if it can further reduce structural costs, get higher prices for small cars, and if the U.S. auto market recovers, its top executives say they hope to return to black ink in 2010. GM reported a $15.5 billion second-quarter loss and has been burning cash this year at a rate of more than $1 billion a month." - Anybody interested in some GM stock?

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "But Lutz said he expects Toyota's plug-in will debut in controlled fleets and not in large numbers. He said GM will have production versions of the Volt working in a large test fleet in late 2009."

I predict that in late 2009 Lutz will predict that the Volt test fleet will be working next year.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Re: Hill's 1969 reminder. That car (would be) so quiet that you could hardly tell if is was running.

Think of all the vision-impaired pedestrians who have not died in front of such a roadway hazard, in the last 39 years.

Thanks, GM, for saving people who probably are outside your customer base.

Anyway, to make this a race, GM will need some $teroid$ from the government.

(I must be in a poor mood today).

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <AHEM>
    The Volt is for all practical purposes, a set of PowerPoint charts. GM has yet to get one to the show room floor. At least the two-mode has made some sales, which the Volt has yet to achieve.

Bob Wilson

14. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, if I'm reading it right.. the Volt will be a battery only driven vehicle ?

Only running off an electric motor (or 2) with batteries as a supply.

When the supply runs low (how low SOC?) then the little internal petrol charger will start and recharge the batteries. In the meantime, what does the driver do ? Pull over ?

Surely the re-charge rate will not be able to outrun the dishcarge rate when it's being driven ?

The batteries will need replacing after a year or 2 at that rate!

What's the expected speed that this will work at ?

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From my Prius energy studies:
    Monitoring the state of charge is tricky but not impossible. When the energy reserves get low enough, start the ICE.

Actually, it only has to provide an average of enough energy to keep the car running. With aggressive regenerative braking and solution of the battery charge rate problem, it should work. Just when the driver reaches their destination, the engine continues to run or plugs it into the grid.

Near as I can tell, maintenance of the electrolyte is the key to long battery life. We have yet to see GM's technical answer in the area. It is not that difficult of a problem to solve.

As for speed, it is too soon to answer. We'll have to see a test example.

Bob Wilson

16. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can I order the Volt in the color of my choice??

Say - "lemon" yellow???:D:D

Dbcassidy

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since the battery pack can not be recharged and discharged at the same time, you'll need to pull over and wait. That's the electric car. You don't drive the electric car while charging.

If the gas engine powers the electric motor AND recharge the battery pack, that will be a series hybrid. We have the power produced by the gas engine split to drive the car and recharge the battery.

18. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It would be unsafe to have a vehicle running the engine while parked/unsupervised. Imagine your car deciding to run for an hour in your garage without your keys in it, etc. It's going to be plugged in for charge.

As I understand it the gasoline engine is to run a generator to keep the car moving when the battery drops to 30%.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i HIGHLY DOUBT the volt will run as most here expects it too.

also, lutz's (no surprise here) statements are misleading. i expect that the "40 mile" electric range will only go about 25-30 miles before having to start the recharge process in order to have a "queue" of batteries to run the thing.

now, having a user controlled "EV" switch for those times when are (you hope) going just under 40 miles is sure to have some interesting consequences...

20. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think it is necessary to seperate a good concept (series hybrid) from GM's implementation of the concept.

As Bob W. pointed out, the engine only needs to be sized just larger than the long term average of the power draw. This is known to be MUCH smaller than the average size engine put in a car. Likewise, having the engine run based on the SOC is most certainly a proven winner as shown in the Prius. No need (with good engineering) to pull over or have the car engine run or run when the key is turned off. The real art will be setting all the parameters to make the PHEV (or whatever set of letters GM wants to use) optimizing fuel efficiency.

Now will GM pork the pooch in their execution? Completely different question.