1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No lock button on the hatch on my Prius III?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alokeprasad, Dec 6, 2009.

1. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The pictures on page 45 of my 2010 Prius III User Manual don't look like my vehicle! I don't have a separate lock button.

How do I lock the hatch on my car without this button?

I have the SmartKey fob. Will I have to take it out of my pocket and lock it that way?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Only the Prius IV and V come with 3 door SKS. That is, the II and III only have SKS on the drivers door whereas the IV and V have it on the drivers and passenger door as rear as the rear hatch.

To lock your doors from the rear hatch after closing you'll have to press the lock button on your key fob.

3. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the clarification. The manual page 48 wasn't that clear on this distiction.

Aloke Prasad
    PS: I opened 2 thread because I thought that the smartkey sensors and the lock button on the hatch were 2 separate issues. Apparently, these go together.

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not a problem Aloke, it's all good. It actually is a separate issue to an extent and the other thread has been unlocked. You can have it so it unlocks all the doors when you touch the drivers door handle in your case and it is in the manual on how to change it. It's easy, but I forget off hand the button presses on the key fob you must perform to make the change.

5. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not familiar with the II, III, IV and V but from what I gather you want to lock your hatch with a button without using the key fob or even taking it out?

There are two buttons under the hatch one is to open and one is to close. That way you can lock the hatch without taking out the key fob out of your pocket. I wish they have automatic boot open key. I misssd that on my Acura RL. ..sighs..

Oh by pressing that button (small round one) it will lock all the doors on mine.

6. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to add too. Can't all your door close including the hatch when you touch the top part of your handle?

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yes, touching the top part of the handle will lock all the doors an rear hatch. I meant he'd have to hit the button on his fob as the only way to lock it up when standing behind the car...

8. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thats just not true is it? There are two buttons under neath the hatch. One is to open and one is to close. So that if he is standing behind the car he wouldn't have to take his key fob out to close all the doors including the hatch, he only has to press that round little button.

I keep saying round is because if you feel it with your fingers one is more elongated button (the one that opens) and then there is a small round one (the botton that closes and on the right hand side) underneath the hatch.

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

It is true. He has a Prius III. As explained here in the US, Prius II and III do not have 3 door SKS. So the button you are talking about on the rear hatch to lock the doors is missing. It is only there on the Prius IV and V.

10. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not all Prius have the 2 buttons on the hatch.

Like the title of this thread says, and as Paradox has explained it in another thread, only Prius (Trim Level) IV have that. Trim Level III has the rectangular unlock button.
    Also, Prius III has the smartkey sensor ONLY on the front driver door.

The owner manual is unclear (this forum helped clear it up).

11. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry my bad. I thought it was standard. and it makes sense it should be standard but I guess not.

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I think MANY out there would agree with you that is should be standard (3 door SKS that is). But on the Gen II standard was no SKS at all. Then when you added on a package which had it it was 3 door. So for the 2010 to have SKS standard was 'new' but to save costs, and I guess as a selling point for the IV and V, they only made it standard 1 door SKS.

13. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for correcting me. We only have three models t choose from here in the UK. T3, T4 and T Spirit. And yes the lowest model T3 doesnt have what they call FULL SKS.

Sorry. I guess that means someone will have to use their key fob then. Actually he is not missing much. I never use that little round button to close the hatch anyway. I always use the key fob in the picket to lock the door from a distance. Why? Because I LOVE the distance the key fob communicate with the car (about 100m)?

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need to take the fob out of your pocket, you can press the button while it is in your pocket.