1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no locking steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by unigeezer, Aug 3, 2008.

1. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought my first prius and it doesn't seem to have what I thought was a standard feature on all modern cars; a locking steering wheel! Every car I've owned for decades, including my most recent-a 2003 honda crv-had this basic feature. You take the key out of the ignition, and the steering wheel clicks into a locked position. Remove the key from slot in the prius and...nothing. You can still turn the steering wheel...and turn and turn and turn... What's the deal? Is there actually a lock and mine is just broken?:confused::confused::confused:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius has no mechanical ignition lock, so why would you expect a locking steering wheel? Locking steering wheels are an old idea from the days of easy to steal cars. Modern cars, like the Prius, use an immobilizer that makes theft almost impossible, without using a truck to haul away the car. A locking steering wheel would add no value and add one more mechanical part to fail. Be happy your Prius lacks one.

Tom

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get an Owner's Manual and a Scheduled Maintenance Guide with yours?