1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No longer a lurker....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scott, Dec 2, 2004.

1. scott

scott New Member

No longer a lurker, now an owner.

Well, after 11 mos. of waiting, my prius came in. I took delivery of it Tuesday night, only to leave it so they can check out a rattle I heard from the dash. It disappeared so they couldn't fix it....hopefully that gremlin is gone....

A little about me. I'm a married guy with a son and we live in NY. I got a nice gas guzzling Jeep Liberty; an absolute PIG on gas. So the Prius is my way of compensating for my sin....sloth.

I have a couple of q's, however. Note: these are things I have NOT noticed in my in-law's prius which they got last month.

1)Does the fan for climate ALWAYS utilize the gas engine?
    2)When coasting, I notice the green arrows indcating my battery is being re-charged even if I'm not braking. My in-law's seems to show no bars/arrows when coasting.
    3)vibration/rattle from the trunk area when hitting pavement gaps, what gives?

I'm sure I'll have more, but for now I'd appreciate some input/

Thanks!

Scott E. Brunengraber, D.C.
    '05 Silver Prius
    '02 Jeep 'pig' Liberty
    '95 Pontiac Sunfire GT --soon to be on it's merry way
    and, my baby...

2003 BMW R1150R 'Roadster' Motorrad

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scott\";p=\"54688)</div>
    Welcome and congrats!

Nope, it rarely does, in fact. But in cold weather or very hot weather it'll run more if you're using the AC...esp. if you're tryiing to keep it really warm or really cool respectively.

I bet it does...unless he's feathering the pedal to prevent it...we call that gliding. With normal 'coasting' (foot off gas) there is a small amount of regenerative drag to prevent the feel of 'free wheeling' so it feels more like a regular car when you back off the throttle.

Several things to check. I found that the flashing over the muffler rattled with the bottom of the car...stopped that with a little expanding foam insulation spray. Also, my license plate frame rattled--I used some foam weather stripping to stop most of that. Also, sometimes the stuff in the cargo tray or under the cargo tray are loose. The knob that holds down the spare can get a little loose and tightening it down helped, make sure none of the other parts are knocking around.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hot diggity congratulations, Scott!

Wow, an eleven month wait?!
    Looks like you joined PriusChat at around that time. I hope you've been keeping up with the posts all year. If so, you know that, yeah, winter stinks. But I choose to look at it this way: if you can get good mileage in the winter, you're really going to kick some MPG nice person when summer rolls around.

Be sure to post some pictures!

4. scott

scott New Member

thanks... the vibration sounds like it's coming from the tailgate itself. The liscense plate frame would make perfect sense.

now, why when I coast, the battery shows charging, but when my father in-law's is coasting, all 'activity' stops. ie., no bars going to/from battery?

Thanks,
    scott

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    default for coasting is to show regen back to battery. at slow enough speeds even very slight downhill grades will also show regen power generated with foot on gas.

your father-in-law's car will show the same thing if he is coasting. some drivers, when trying to maintain speed will touch the gas lightly to maintain no bars. that might be what you saw.