1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No more keys!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by monkeyboy26, May 17, 2007.

1. monkeyboy26

monkeyboy26 New Member

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I just bought a 2007 Prius Tourig (Package 6), and am still a bit unsure about this SmartKey thing. It never seems to work when I want it to, which makes me wonder about the safety of my new car. How safe is this feature? Any comments?

2. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My car is about 3 weeks old and I have had issues with the key. Read the manual a few times.

Make sure you don't leave a duplicate key anywhere in or near the vehicle.

Until you have a grasp on the system, use the push button lock on the key fob to make sure the car is locked. But step away from the car, while locking because you may active the smart mode by having your hand near the handles or hatch lid.

To lock the car with your hand only (say the key is in your pocket) push the little square button for a few seconds.

Make sure the hatch is firmly closed.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(monkeyboy26 @ May 17 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]444473[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean by "does not work"? With a fob in your pocket does touching the inside of the driver's door handle unlock the door? Without inserting the fob in the slot can the car start? Can you lock the car by pressing the black button on a door? What happens after you press the SKS button on the dash below the steering wheel?

Granted, you may have to reconfigure the system to get it to perform the way you want and it may take a little practice to get the touch right on the doors but this is explained in the manual. Perhaps you are inadvertantly making contact with the black button on the door and the inside of the handle at the same time which is causing the car to lock and unlock in sequence.

IMO the SKS is very safe. Try getting into the car and starting it without a fob.

4. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 17 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]444487[/snapback]</div>
    Or, try locking your fob in the car. It can't be done.

5. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 17 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]444492[/snapback]</div>

Glad to see another Bostonian on the forums. You will get the hang of the keys soon. I had, and sometimes still have, a tendency to lock the door with my left thumb while my fingers are on the inside of the handle (I'm left handed so I do everything backwards). Talk about confusing the car! Now I keep the key in my purse and only have issues when I want to leave it in the car - can't be done. You will get a longer (2-3 seconds) beep if you try. Press the black button to lock, and touch the inside of the handle to unlock. Now I don't have to fumble for my keys anymore so it works out great for me. Keep reading the owners' manual and read the helpful posts on this site and you will learn soon. And Welcome!!