1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No More Laying Right Knee on Center Console

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cycledrum, Jul 30, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, as the months poured on since buying this 2011 Prius new, I realized the steering wheel is NOT going to get any closer to me unless I get closer to it and move away from my *preferred seat position (*where my legs are actually supported by the seat. btw, I'm 6'2"). The higher I raised up or scooted closer forward, the more affinity my right knee had for laying against the 'floating bridge' console, which stunk with or without foam on the landing spot.

So, this is my 3rd rendition of a 'clipped-on board' to lay my lower leg on while on gas pedal (with ball of foot), something I would do in cars with a 'standard' center console.

Disclaimer: You assume any risk associated with using a device like shown just below:

camera 502.jpg

It is 1/4" thick Poplar wood with 1/2" neoprene foam, 11/16" shim, 'magnetic' clip w/ magnet removed, machine screws, nuts, lock washers and stick on pads and rubber to protect console. Of course there is a risk associated with having any added board next to a leg and it's a risk assumed (2nd board made was over 5/8" thick fiber board and safety came to mind over that).
    A less risky solution was to stuff a cheap kids ball into the console space, but that reduces space and I didn't prefer it overall:

camera 486.jpg

More pics of new board -

camera 501.jpg camera 500.jpg camera 503.jpg camera 499.jpg

So, that's it. No flashy technology. Just trying to make things work as I sit perched up 'higher than I would like in order to reach the wheel' in driving this 3rd generation Prius.

Over and out.