1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No more "N" word

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by saechaka, Mar 1, 2007.

1. saechaka

saechaka Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...549_slur01.html i don't know how they can pass anything now allowing the word to be said but i do agree with its' principle. i find this line sad. "Others argue that use of the word by blacks is empowering; that reclaiming a slur and giving it a new meaning takes away its punch." if it's true then everyone can use it right?

2. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Mar 1 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]398536[/snapback]</div>
    I find this hypocritical. The comedians and hip-hop artists are NOT using the term in any empowering way; they are using it for shock value only. This idea that no other group EXCEPT the one that the slur (any slur) is aimed at can use it is pure hypocrisy. It's either acceptable or it's not.

As for the performers who sprinkle this word in every 5-7 words of their act/songs, well that just indicates the depth of their vocabulary IMO. I don't think anyone who is talented enough needs to resort to shock value, but Howard Stern has already proven me wrong on this.

My dictionary defines the word as follows:
    "1.a. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person. b. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any dark-skinned people. 2. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people."

Disparaging, to me, does not equal empowerment.

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

What's the N word?

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 1 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]398641[/snapback]</div>
    Neutral :lol:

5. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I hate the N word. The use of it by ANYONE only perpetuates the racial issues and hatred..

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This (the law or ordinance) is not only a prior restraint on free speech, it gives exceptions based upon racial guidelines and does not satisfy the "fighting words" doctrine.
    In other words this law is Un-Constitutional!

I may have to go to where these laws are passed and just walk around the cops and utter the word "nigger" until i get cited. The ensuing media circus would be fun, and my first witness will be Chris Rock!

It's just a word, its the use that is deplorable. You can't ban words and all you liberals should know that!

7. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Mar 2 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]399191[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, stupid liberals try to ban everything.. They've got no personal responsibility, alot like Bush.

Oh, GASP! Guess what, liberals.. Bush IS a liberal. He played the Conservative facade but he is so far from Conservative it isn't even funny. He is a liberal. Bush spends money like liberals.. He violates the Constutition like liberals..

Bush = Liberal

GREAT JOB, LIBERALS!

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 2 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]399240[/snapback]</div>
    And on your planet, what does 2 + 2 equal? I'm just a little curious...

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 2 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]399242[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think you can "ban" the "n-word"?

10. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 2 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]399254[/snapback]</div>
    They don't think, they have Michael Moore doing that for them.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 2 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]399283[/snapback]</div>
    Which is why we proudly call ourselves dittoheads.

No, wait, that's not right...

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the N word is great. If I start at less than 42 mph on a
    hill, I can get going much faster than that in "warp N" and boyhowdy,
    *that* is empowering. And economical.
    _H*

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Mar 2 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]399191[/snapback]</div>
    Think it can't happen?

Just try walking around Germany and saying “Sieg Heil” or “Heil Hitler.”

[​IMG]

Yes, this is America. :mellow:
    Any guess about the above picture?

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 1 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]398638[/snapback]</div>
    You need a newer dictionary. Modernly it will include 'friend'. I take it you don't own any DMX CD's ??

(don't click if you hate rough rap music)
    http://www.mp3lyrics.org/d/dmx/its-all-good/

What was the name of the comedy movie Chris Rock did, where he died befoe his time? His soul was temporarily put into an old white dude, but he thinks he's still a gangsta ... so he's singing that song., "It's all good" That made me laugh my ars off.

15. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Mar 1 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]398536[/snapback]</div>
    Quentin Tarantino made the same argument when asked about his repeated use of the word in Pulp Fiction.

This is one subject that I'm on the fence about. I certainly don't believe any words should be banned; I do believe there is a bit of empowerment when one "takes a word back" that is frequently used to subjugate. The problem is that "taking back" word takes a really, really, really long time. And we're not there with that one yet.

So your question is one that needs discussing. I think it's about intent and audience. Most words that can be offensive can be used in a non-offensive manner with a friendly audience. But watch out for the word "doofus." It will get you banned from this board EVERY time. (Even though it was frequently used in Bloom County.)

My friends and I used to bat around the 'c' word, the 'b' word, and the 'p' word with each other (when I was younger and cursed more). If someone else I didn't know used those words directed to me, though, I would have been offended.

Today, though, I just wouldn't give someone that kind of power over me. I have Black friends who feel the same way and brush off the doofuses of the world who would still use that word as an attack; I also have Black friends who would go medieval on a non-Black person's buttocks if that person used the n-word.

We each have words that hurt or enrage us, and it's different for all people.

16. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Mar 3 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]399635[/snapback]</div>
    That made me wonder, so I checked it out - my dictionary's from 1997...not really "old" in the scheme of things....

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and except for one reference where it states, "However, some African Americans use the word as a term of endearment and familiarity ", which could arguably be interpreted as "friend", it's considered an offensive term.

I think we either all can use it, or none of us - but having only one select group use it where it's "good" and everyone else's use is "bad" is just another form of prejudice.

Oh, and I do listen to rap sometimes - it's not my top choice, and some artists/songs I find irritating enough not to ever want to hear again, but I think I can say that about most genre's...