1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No More Whirring Sound After Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yibo829, Jan 18, 2012.

1. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hi everyone!

I have a concern about not hearing the whirring sound after shutdown anymore. I know that the sound comes from a small electric-pump that pumps 3 liters of coolant into a thermal container (to keep it hot) every time I turn the hybrid system power OFF. When the power is turned back ON, the coolant is pump back into the engine.

I've noticed that after I got an oil change and tire rotation at Pepboys the sound is no longer there after shutdown or power up. Then after a couple of days I took the car to the dealer to fix the tire rotation (because Pepboys didn't do a good job at rotating the tires, there was a woo woo woo sound while driving) and the dealer also did a multi-point check, but they didn't say anything was wrong with the car.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with more no whirring sound after power up or shutdown? Did something happen to the pump? Is it no longer working? Then why didn't the techs at the dealer notice anything?

Thank you for your help.

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible the woo woo woo is shrouding the whir whir whir. Just a thought.

3. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC yibo829:

Sounds like you are hearing it sometimes and not others. I have noticed that sometimes the pump is delayed when the engine is hot (Over 192F), but it will run later, when the coolant actually cools down a little. Any chance this could be your issue? Do you have a way to monitor engine temp?

1 person likes this.
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The transfer pump only runs if conditions are met. It won't run unless the engine coolant is significantly hotter than the coolant in the thermos.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  5. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No, I don't have a way to monitor the engine temperature, but I did not know about the delay of the pump when the engine is over 192 F. The sound is back now, strangely. So I'm not really worried anymore. Thanks for the information though. :)