1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No need to power off while refueling...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pinto Girl, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably a coincidence, but I've twice, just recently, have encountered Prius drivers who leave their car on while refueling.

The first time I didn't say anything; the second, I mentioned it to the driver.

What tipped me off was that the headlights and foglights were on, and then I heard the ICE start up. So I suggested to the driver that she should power the car off before refueling.

Her reply: "I don't need to. It's electric."

I asked, "well then, why are you putting gas into it?" and she gave me this look like, what-ever...

..then she said, "well, actually, I've heard both sides of this argument."

Honestly, I didn't realize that such a controversy was raging!
    ;-)

Anyhow, I was at a loss, so --after suggesting that the "leave it on" side was wrong, and that that could cause an explosion-- I just got in my car and drove off. I wonder what might be a more concise explanation, as to why one should turn off the car when refueling (other than it might blow up, which didn't seem to do it)...?

Weird; it seems really common sense to me, to shut off a gasoline engine before refueling.

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've started leaving mine on because; one, the ICE rarely comes one while parked getting gas, unless the AC is on; two, the real danger is a spark from getting in and out of the car igniting gas fuems, not your own cars engine, or else we would have explosions everyday when the guy next to you starts his car while you're still refueling.

I don't know, but it would be interesting to see if there is any information on gas pump fire actually caused becuase the vehicle being left on while refueling. I know people have left desiels run while refueing forever.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Oct 8 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]522903[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about Nevada, but here in Illinois I believe there is a law against fueling your car while the engine is running. I don't know if the law was created because of fires that started, or if it was just because some lawmaker thought a fire could start. Either way, until the law is changed, I turn the car off.

If you want to fuel without turning the car off, and you want to make sure the ICE doesn't start up, I think the ICE won't come on if you put it in "neutral" and use the parking brake. Just make sure you remember to release the parking brake before you try to drive away.

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

The RX400H actually tells you that you can refuel without turning it off... just park it and open the tank! I've done this with mine forever now... there's no issue. If you don't want the engine to run while it's on just turn off the air conditioner.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Oct 8 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]522909[/snapback]</div>
    Where does the vehicle tell you that? If the ICE ever starts, it doesn't matter WHAT your car whispers in your ear. It is still illegal in my state to fuel while the car is running. The car doesn't get to decide that.

6. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ive tried both ways...if i dont shut down...the fuel gauge will not read correctly...it will stay where it was...if i had a 1/2 tank left, and i filled it up...it wont read full because i didnt shut down...when i shut down, the system resets and everything reads correctly...its been this way over 3 years now...since day 1 on the car...same results...so i shut down...

7. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Oct 8 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]522909[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that answers this question once and for all.

Evidently stupidity has actually been codified by an RX400H.

8. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

I doubt that it will blow up. Neither will a cell phone.

It all depends on the circumstance. If its really hot or cold outside and my gf or granddparents are in the car, then i would leave the car on. Otherwise, I'll turn it off.

9. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unless there's a likely circumstance that the ICE would turn on, I tend to leave the car on while refueling. Don't hold your breath on headlines citing my dire, fiery end, though... I've been doing this for over 2 years, but one time, I came close to melting off my face when the ICE started. Nearby patrons dove for cover, but fortunately, a catastrophic, hybrid explosion was averted... somehow. I believe the engines off law/warning is, at least, partially there to minimize on gas and dashes.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Oct 8 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]522909[/snapback]</div>
    What about a Check Engine Light being thrown when the evaporative emission control system looks for pressure in the fuel tank and there is none? That is the reason why you should turn off the engine before re-fueling in a traditional (non-hybrid) car. Presumably, the same applies (the evaporative emission control system) when the Prius is powered up.

11. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The fuel cap on most modern vehicles is an integral piece in the emissions equipment. It functions, of course, to cap the fuel tank, but it also seals the vapor recovery system. I am not trying to suggest that fueling with the engine running is going to increase emissions, but rather that it is possible that the open system will cause the computer to throw a check engine code. Many late model vehicles will illuminate the check engine light only to have it go out when the loose gas cap is tightened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 8 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]522980[/snapback]</div>
    Beat me to it!

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 8 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]522980[/snapback]</div>
    piffle!

i drove cross-country twice this summer, and because of the heat and my wife and two dogs in the car, i got into the habit of never turning the car off during refueling.

nothing ever happened. no fire, no explosions [i always ground myself to the car before bringing the fuel nozzle near the car], no nothing.

the engine service light did come on once near the end of the trip, but that was because it was overdue for an oil change.

there's a difference between "turning off the engine" of a non-hybrid and "turning off the car" for a hybrid. even with the car "powered up," the ICE ain't necessarily running. even if it starts, there's NOTHING inherently dangerous about it cranking up when you're refueling. there ain't no exposed sparks or flames from the ICE. if there were, the dashboard would have been lit up by any number of warning lights long before you pulled into the gas station!

..... did you believe everything your mommy told you, too, or did you think about it?

:)

oh, btw, over 33k miles now... and five times 'cross country.

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Three Rules for Safe Refueling
    1. Turn off engine.
    2. Don't smoke.
    3. Never re-enter your vehicle while refueling.

- Petroleum Equipment Institute

http://www.pei.org/Index.aspx?p=stop_static

Anyone who disagrees . . . using such anecdotal evidence like, "I've been doing this for over 2 years" is one statistical blip away from being nominated for a Darwin Award. :rolleyes:

15. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya know, I've always wondered about this. The emissions issue / check engine light not withstanding, why on earth should this be a problem? If the gas in the fuel tank were likely to be ignited by the engine, shouldn't it do so ANYTIME you start the car? Why would the fact that you're actively putting gas in suddenly cause the engine to ignite the tank? Logically, this makes no sense. Sure, the engine burns gas and has sparks, etc., but it's all neatly contained within the engine itself. If it weren't, as someone else stated, you'd have problems long before you got to the gas station.

That said, I do turn mine off like a good little citizen.

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A while back someone (Hobbit, I think) suggested that the various relays and switches in the Prius electrical system could be potential spark sources.

Some of you say, "I've never had a problem." Anyone that's ever had a problem at one time could have said that.

Coming from a long-time member of the fire service: Please turn your car off when you refuel. There is virtually nothing to be gained from leaving it on. View it like a risk management professional might. The probability of a problem is small, but the consequences are huge. Use the simple and easy risk reduction step that's literally at your fingertips: the power button.

17. mxvet

mxvet humble

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you are all missing a small point here. if you leave your car on and the ice is running, you're using fuel.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya ya ya ...

spoken from the grave

"i drove drunk hundreds of times and did just fine expect for that last time..."

19. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've always been one to turn the car off during refueling, but lately I've changed my routine. Since I live up hill and about .25 mile from the gas station I usually refill at, I turn on the car, hit the EV button and drive to the station that way. :p

Actually, come to think of it I end up shutting it off then too out of habit, but at least I didn't use gas getting there downhill.

20. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

If you look at the data on gas station refueling fires, they seem to result either from static discharge or smoking. These days, it's unlikely that you'll get an explosive mixture inside the car or engine compartment.

My take is that with the car running you're more likely to have an accident involving unintended motion. Ripping the nozzle from the pump would not be a good idea! I never leave any unattended vehicle running, it's asking for trouble.

Mike