1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No PCV valve on my '05?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alanhu99, Mar 4, 2011.

1. alanhu99

alanhu99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Took my 05 in for the inverter water pump recall yesterday. At 93K miles, I asked for some preventive maintenance to prepare it for the next 100K.

After consulting PriusChat, I ordered:

- transaxle fluid replaced,
    - engine coolant flush,
    - serpentine belt replacement,
    - replace spark plugs,
    - got the engine water pump replaced under extended warranty as there was some visual sign of leakage.

The only funny thing was when I asked the Service Manager to replace the PCV valve, he says there's no such valve on this car!? I pressed again, asking "Are you sure?", and he affirmed there was no PCV on my Prius.

I didn't want to cause a scene and figured I'd get it done at the next service. :confused:

Thanks for all the wonderful info and assistance on this Forum!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a shame, the PCV should be done at the same time as spark plugs, for a vastly reduced labor rate. You might get stuck paying $100+ as a stand-alone service.

And the water pump! Did you notice signs of leakage, or did they point it out and show it to you?

4. alanhu99

alanhu99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They saw some stains and called me. That was very diligent of the service tech!

5. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I remember getting a PCV valve to replace as part of preventative maintenance and remember looking at Galaxee's how to with pics and i thought "oh no" but i didn't have to remove half the parts as per Galaxee's post,that cover over the PCV Valve isn't on mine,i can see the valve as soon as i open the bonnet[hood]
    just need to move the relay box out of the way and for comfort remove the injector harness from the coil and i can get a ring spanner over the valve and remove.

1 person likes this.
  6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks halpos4. I've been thinking about replacing my PCV valve abut have been balking about all the stuff that has to removed to get at it. I'll have to take a close look and see if mine can be got at any easier.

I'll be looking to do my PCV valve when I change my plugs after about another 30,000 km or about a year.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got mine changed, and it was about $55, I think, for that line item, part & labor.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about taking some closeup photos of that area? Apparently the European Prius engine has some detail differences compared to North America.

9. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    uart,if you just pop your bonnet, if it's not covered it'll be staring right at ya behind the last coil nearest the inverter,a small hose with a clip that can be loosened off with just your fingers,a 19mm ring spanner or long socket is required to remove/install the valve.

10. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Patrick,
    That's true,the one that comes to mind in relation to the PCV valve installation on the NA Prius are the wipers,seems like a lotta work,
    If i get a chance i'll take a few snaps.

11. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just changed mine on my '05, following the excellent "easy way" directions at Toyota Prius: How to Replace the PCV Valve - PriusDIY.com. Took about 1 1/2 hours, but probably about half that the next time. While I had the air cleaner off, I removed the MAF assembly and cleaned it as well. My valve was definitely ready to be replaced, at 124,779 miles; the new Toyota valve was $7.33 from Champion Toyota. I used a total of 17 tools, including a little LED flashlight, and a long grabber tool to retrieve the little flashlight from the spash shield when I dropped it. The spec was to tighten the valve to 20 ft-lb, but I chickened out at about 17. I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere.

I'd recommend replacing the PCV valve along with the sparkplugs at whatever interval you like -- the hard part in both jobs is exposing them, and they're right there together once all the stuff in the way gets out of it.

#11 mfa-prius, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Naurill likes this.