1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No power from 12v outlets and rear auto up windows bouncing off top and reopening

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sal43, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you think a bad 12v battery can cause all this or are there likely bad fuses as well? The car has had trouble starting in the last month. I used a trickle charger to charge it fully and the voltage varies from 11.1v to 11.4v in accessory mode.
    Does accessory mode use some voltage or almost none and the voltage should be 12.7v or 12.8v?

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need a new 12v battery... Or you can try charging with something better than a trickle charger. Probably a bad fuse in cigarette lighter plug... Windows are designed to roll back down if they detect an obstruction like a child's hand. Usually it's a window seal that's hanging lower than normal that causes that. Here's the best quality and price for 12v battery: https://ebay.us/vN4JsP

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the 12 volt power has been interrupted for any reason, or dropped low enough for memories to be cleared (which is really low), the window controllers will forget where 'up' is.

Then they will close and 'bounce', as you say, because they detect they can't go any farther but they aren't sure it's because they're 'up', so they back off in case what they hit was an obstruction.

You can teach them where 'up' is again by rolling them up and holding the switch up for a few seconds. After that, they should once again roll up without bouncing.

Of course as long as the battery remains iffy, this might keep happening.

After you replace the battery, of course, you'll have to do this procedure again, but with a good battery it should not be a regular thing.

burrito likes this.
  4. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That battery looks like it has screw on type terminals. Are you sure it will work for a Gen 3 Prius?

#4 Sal43, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you get these longer bolts than the ones it comes with and use washers slightly larger than terminal size to sandwich the terminals between the two washers and bolt it down.

Also this 12v is slightly taller so you need to rebend the hold down bar that bolts across the top, or simply add a longer bolt to where hold down clamp bolts to the inside side of the battery.

PXL_20210209_231231938.jpg

PXL_20210216_005159433.jpg

6. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    do you know the name/size of the battery bolts and the hold down bolts by any chance?

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The name / size of battery bolts is in the pic above and hold down bolts are just standard Toyota 10mm bolts that are the most common bolt on the car, one just needs to be slightly longer.

Alternatively you can work on the tray that the battery sits on to get it to sit lower so you don't have to modify hold down bolts or hold down bracket.

8. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, thanks

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whoa there—those bolts have 10 mm hex heads, so you use a 10 mm wrench on them, but that doesn't make them "10mm bolts". When we give bolt sizes, we use the thread diameter. Those are 6 mm bolts, also known as M6.

If you go into a hardware store and buy "10mm bolts", they won't go in those holes no way no how. :)

... probably the biggest danger from that kind of mixup is when somebody is using a torque wrench, and looks up the torque to use in a chart by bolt size: trying to tighten an x mm bolt to a torque you found by looking up its head size isn't going to end well.

10. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info.
    BTW, it doesn't look like the Ebay battery has a place to hook up the vent tube.
    Would that be dangerous?

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... You're so good at thinking someone doesn't understand things as well as you!

If you had looked to my previous post I know that a bolt head and bolt length and bolt thread size are all essential... I even provided a picture of that info with what that bolt will look like in the tray at the hardware store. But when the person started asking lots of questions I didn't have enough time to go into detail, as well as always wanting to give you more opportunities to troll me.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We've been arguing about that one for almost 10 years on here. VW, Landrover and many other vehicle have had batteries in the vehicle cabin for 70 years without a proven need for venting.

There's never been documented proof that the vent tube is necessary or could save a life if there was thermal runaway. There's one sole event of a mom and kids who died in their car on the side of the road of the New Jersey turn pike and investigators concluded that while they couldn't exclude that as the cause of death, they couldn't prove it either. Whenever I ask for proof the vent tube is needed on here, this is the main reference my opponents use.

I've had a 12v like one of these in my car since Jan 2013 with no issues... Have helped people get a couple dozen of these as well, also with no issues. Also keep in my many of the vent tube based 12v is nothing more than slot in the plastic cover for the tube with slightly thinner plastic in that slot so if battery blows the theory is it will blow at the weakest point, which is wear the vent tube is. As in this vent is for an emergency that we've not yet seen clear documentation of...

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a public forum; things get read by the current thread participants and by future readers who pull them up in searches.

The important thing is that if a post gets made calling a 6 mm bolt a 10 mm bolt, that gets corrected right away so that no future reader buys the wrong bolt. The point of including explanation with the correction is so it will be there in case somebody reading your post and mine wonders what the explanation is. If I had said the same thing in a private message to you, it would have had to mean I didn't think you understood bolt sizing. But in a public forum, that's not what it has to mean; a public post has many readers, some of whom will not be you, and some of whom might not know what you know.

I'm sorry you took it personally. I might have been able to write it a better way so you wouldn't have taken it personally. I guess we all leave things out of our posts when writing quickly, and that was the part I left out.

burrito likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get my butt kicked in all the social medias daily. I'm a longtime radical environmentalist and every year our global body count is in the hundreds, nearly reaching the thousands. So there's no way your complaint about my lack of details of a 10mm bolt is going to be taken personally.

As for correcting the record of misinformation in PriusChat threads, I suspect your Don Quixote like ways of jousting wrongly informed windmills is not going to go well for you, but goddess bless you for trying. Sadly, if the reader doesn't think critically about comments posted in a public forum, there's not much we can do for them. For example the posts on here about converting HID headlights to Halogen... There's a dozen threads on here that will give you the wrong information and one post on here that will give you the right information.

#14 PriusCamper, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thing is, when you took my post as if it were about whether you did or didn't know something, or as an attempt to troll you, that's pretty much the definition of taking it personally. It was a comment in a public forum to make sure readers know what size that bolt is, and how bolts are sized.

You're probably kind of right about that, and while maybe there's not much we can do for "them", there is something. We can work at not having "them" getting wrong information from our own posts.