1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Power in Mountains

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Baza, May 5, 2013.

1. Baza

Baza New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently bought a 2004 Prius with 104,000 miles on it. When I try to go up into the mountains I only get a few miles or up to 1,000 to 2,000 ft. elevation (from 300 ft. starting) and the battery level gradually drops from 6 bars to 1 bar. The red triangle light and check engine light comes on and the car speed gradually begins to drop even if I continue to press on the gas pedal. I have only gotten down to about 35 MPH from 60-65 mph before stopping and turning around. Within a few miles of turning around the light goes off and the battery goes back up to 6 bars and works good going down hill. The dealer I bought the car from has been working with me to figure out the problem but so far we have not figured it out. He has replaced the main battery as well as the inverter/converter. The mechanic was with me on a test drive to the mountains and had his car computer plugged in while we drove and experienced the same thing. It gave the code for the catalytic converter so we changed the entire CC/muffler (one long piece) and still got the same code. The battery indicator on this car has never shown more than 6 bars. I'm not a Prius mechanic but I personally think it has a bad "Gas Engine" or something wrong with the gas engine. How do I tell if the gas engine is bad or has a problem?

2. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You say they replaced the "main battery". Did they replace the "traction/hybrid" battery or the 12v battery?
    Either way...Since you have a 2004 Gen-II, you might want to search and/or repost your questions under:

Gen II Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting | PriusChat

You might get a better answers there.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has occurred before and there is a thread on the subject. Unfortunately I cannot remember where it is. Try doing some creative searches here and on Google. You'll find it.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the Gen II sub forums from the Prius v forums since the OP does not own a a prius v but posted in the Prius v forums.