1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Prius Production Increase in 06?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prius supplies will remain thin

TOYOTA CITY, Japan -- The hot-selling Toyota Prius, which established Toyota Motor Corp. as the hybrid leader, will continue in short supply in 2006.

Toyota CEO Katsuaki Watanabe promises to deliver more hybrids to North America next year. But virtually all of the increase will come in the form of hybrid Camrys.

The hybrid Camrys will go on sale in mid-year, he said.

In an interview with Automotive News, Watanabe downplayed the possibility that Toyota's production and sales will surpass General Motors' next year.

James B. Treece
    AN / December 12, 2005

-------------------

So, does this mean that Toyota won't cross the Tax Credit Cutoff until Q3?

2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I've been wondering for a while if Toyota will stall delivery of hybrids just enough so that they sell the 'last' vehicle just after the start of Q3, which would yield full tax credits to the end of 2006.

I'd do it, if I were them. Offer the Hybrid Camry at a premium of just a little bit more than the associated tax credit, maybe even throw in a financing sale. They'd sell scads! ..as though they wouldn't anyway

3. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I had this same thought, seems that in some sense it would be foolish of them not to. Although it means a long wait for those interested it also means that virtually no one buying in 06' will loose out on the tax credit. This would keep demand up all year instead of just a portion.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I drove a Camry once. Nice car, but not nearly as nice as my Prius. Will the hybrid Camry just be a Camry with an HSD power train? Or will it have features to make it stack up well against the Prius? And will it go for efficiency? Or will it use the hybrid advantage to get more power at the old dismal mpg, like the Honda Accord Hybrid?

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    And, of course, no real use to us Europeans - the Camry was discontinued last year for being just too dismal. We demand more European-style hybrids!

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Full Article non-subscription

Supply of Toyota's Prius to remain thin; automaker battling hybrid component shortage

JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News
    Posted Date: 12/13/05
    The hot-selling Toyota Prius, which established Toyota Motor Corp. as the hybrid leader, will continue in short supply in 2006.

Toyota CEO Katsuaki Watanabe promises to deliver more hybrids to North America next year. But virtually all of the increase will come in the form of hybrid Camrys.

The hybrid Camrys will go on sale in mid-year, he said.

Sales have been limited by availability. Toyota is suffering from a shortage of a broad range of hybrid components.

In North America, hybrid "volume will increase by several tens of thousands units" next year, Watanabe said. Most, perhaps all, of that will be hybrid Camrys, which will be supplied from both Japan and Toyota's plant in Georgetown, Ky.

"The production plan is to produce 4,000 a month at our plant in Kentucky, or 50,000 a year. Because the launch is mid-year, we would expect about half of that next year, or about 20,000 to 30,000," he said.

-----------------

I still read it the same way - No Increase in Prius Availability in 06