1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No rattles, but do have a creaking from the mid way back.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jholder, Jan 6, 2011.

1. jholder

jholder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't have any rattles, however I do have a creaking anytime the car goes over a bump, pulling up onto a driveway. Sounds like it is coming from the wall of the passenger side rear seat. Of course it does it more when it's cold. At first I thought it was the tonneau cover, but doesn't seem to be.

Anyone else experiencing??

Thanks!

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nope...I have not heard that type of noise on my car. You might want to put a 100 or 200 pounds of something in the backend and try to duplicate the noise. Maybe it's a shock/spring or strut issue. Give it a try and let us know.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep - it just started on mine too! I thought I was the only one, but it's just as you described (creaking) and in the same area. It almost seems like it's outside somewhere, but it's a mid-body passenger rear seat area noise when going over parking lot dip at low speeds. Most of my rattles are on the passenger side which seems odd.

If you or your dealer find it, please share what it was.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had a similar noise and it was temp sensitive. The dealer tried several things (insulating the hybrid battery vent, adjusting the rear seat latches, etc.) but the only thing that worked was replacing the passenger side of the rear seat back.

5. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine's a rattle trap, my wifes is not. Glad mine is leased.

6. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has this noise, has had it pretty much from new.

It seems to come from the latch that holds the rear seat back up and only seems to affect the right side on mine. If I fold the seat back down, then back up again, the rattle goes away for a day or two, only to return.

Things I've tried have included spraying some clear lube inside the seat latch mechanism (had no effect at all), wrapping some PTFE tape around the latch bar on the inside of the car (I thought this worked, as the noise went away for a few weeks, but it returned) and finally the permanent fix - leave the seat back folded down.................

This damned car has so many rattles and squeaks it's driving me crazy - the rear of the centre console flying bridge is very noisy when the car is cold (I have to drive with one hand under it, pulling it upwards to keep it quiet), the centre of the dash rattles like hell when the car is hot (I have a small stick wedged vertically in the instrument panel opening to keep that one at bay), the tailgate has an intermittent rattle that happens randomly (haven't found a way to stop that one yet), the glove box creaks and rattles pretty much all the time and the right side rear seat back creaks if I leave it up.

Jeremy

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which dealer was this?

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius