1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no reverse

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tomfreed, Oct 24, 2009.

1. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 03 Prius with 147k miles on it. Suddenly I got engine light then console warning light for a few days now it got no reverse. In D it hardly moved only in B it is moving. In R no go. Does this sound like a tranny issue? Please help anyone :(

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is impossible to tell but the first step is to measure the 12 VDC battery voltage level with the car off. A low 12 VDC battery can cause more problems than one can image. Be sure and measure from frame ground to the outer clamp of the 12 VDC battery wiring. Corrosion can lead to a false positive voltage if the post voltage appears OK.

The second step is to take it into a Toyota Service Center and get a full set of diagnostic codes read out. Ask them to also read out the traction battery module voltages (there should be 19.) Let them explain what they think it is and bring the codes here and we'll offer our background.

Right now, the ambiguity group is too large to call anything so first make sure the 12 VDC traction battery is OK. If it is low, it can cause the half dozen control computers to become 'confused' and no one can really tell what is going on.

Bob Wilson

3. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your suggestion makes sense to me. This car was driven frequently from the time i bought it at 107k until it got to 147k current value. I put it in a paint shop for some repaint issue and for month it was sitting there and move around the shop with start and stop. I got back about 2 weeks ago and it was fine with no error, code, light popping up and suddenly it develops problem . I am going to take the battery out and fully charge then i will scan the code myself with the Autoenginuity scanner that i paid extra for the optional Prius Hybrid package. It will detect cell level and bunch of other stuffs. I will report back to you.

4. djjamar

djjamar New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My prius does the same I think its the hybrid battery that is fried. because that prius only uses battery for reverse. No Battery No reverse. In D it uses the Engine and Generators to spin the wheels