1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NO SAMSUNG phones work with Toyotas!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kellsworthington, Feb 27, 2006.

1. kellsworthington

kellsworthington New Member

I have a Samsung D307, and it has not worked with my car properly since I had it. After speaking with numerous Samsung representatives, they told me that NO samsung phones work with the chipset that Toyota/Lexus uses.

Whats worse, is I had my phone for over 30 days and they wont let me exchange it. I tried to tell them the phone was faulty, they said the phone wasn't faulty if it doesn't work with the car. I said it drops the calls and it is not the car's fault - who's fault is it then?

Cingular/ Samsung is now on my bad side. Any ideas about this?

2. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

I've had several Samsung Phones, Tvs & Computer Monitors. I vow to this day to NEVER buy or use another Samsung product. They just never seem to work right and are quite inferior to others.
    That being said, if you have insurance on your Cingular phone, call them and tell them you dropped it in the lake. Send something else. If not call and keep asking for the next person up, if it is that new, they will eventually swap before they loose a customer. They will make you pay shipping etc, but they will swap.

Worst case, tell Cingular you want them to note on your account that you are still eligible for a phone upgrade, and that you have already paid the $18 upgrade fee. Tell them you’re going to get a phone on your own. They will if you are persistent enough. Tell them you will send them your Samsung after the upgrade. Then go to Wal-mart and buy you a Razor for $63. It will ring up like a new contract, and WM will call Cingular and verify you are eligible for the upgrade. That's why it has to be noted on your account. Wal-mart already applies the rebates, so you don't have to mess with that. I bought 2 Razors for $126.00 plus tax. 2 yr commitment.

Hope it works out.

3. kellsworthington

Thanks for the tip. I LOVE the qwerty feature on the phone, but I paid a few extra thousand dollars for the bluetooth in the Prius, and I'll be damned if my phone does not work with it.

Also, can you clarify on the first part? If I use the insurance, they'll just send me the same phone correct?

4. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

Usually they will send you the guts of the phone, and you use your faceplate and battery and back plate. Then you send them your bad guts. This is on the exchange program. That's why I say. Tell them the entire phone is gone, and you want another brand phone that is the same price. If they say no, the tell them option 3. They would love to note on your account, and YOU go get a phone. Then you’re into a new phone that works, and your phone plan/insurance will all carry over to the new phone.

5. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

Kells,
    FWIW, I have owned absolutely (2) samsung consumer products in my lifetime, and I actively avoid anything having to do with samsung if at all possible.

First of all, the one I did have was so incredibly badly designed (it was a flip phone that for some god-awful reason, would allow dailing/accpting calls while flipped shut!?!? ... no speaker. also it's "lock" feature could be unlocked when the phone was flipped shut)

Secondly, they aren't supported by iSync on my mac, and do not support synchronization on the mac in any way (perhaps this is Apple's issue, but still... Wth?)

Thirdly, they seemed to be in the "cheap" market, but are still "glitzy".. exactly the kind of phone I DONT want. I can stand the old Nokia, "cheap, ugly, but works great" but that's hardly possible when it's both "cheap" and "feature-filled" esp. when those features are crap I don't want or need, and will likely cause the phone to freeze or me to pay bucks for a mispressed button.

Nowadays I have a Treo 650, and tho it took a while to get working with the Prius, does wonders. This is a good high-end phone, tho I would have preferred a more simple (Sony T610 type) phone, only Nokia makes stable ones (aside from this palm phone, apparently).

The phone industry in the US is an absolute nightmare of providers/protocols/models/features, and they're all bundled and tightly integrated in the worst of ways. I pray for someone like Apple to come along and break the market... but given their lack of involvement, it may be the case that the current quagmire is unsolveable except by government regulation, or the providers getting smacked down by their customers.

6. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

I have a Samsung i730 (Verizon) and had no trouble pairing it with both Prius (2005) and Lexus (400h). I never transferred the phone book but had no trouble making phone calls (made many today) through my car using the 18 assigned numbers (they cover about 99% of my phone calls anyway). If I want to use another number I just dial it through the phone and the car bluetooth connection picks up. I just followed the instructions in the car manual, did not have any problems.

7. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

Not saying there arn't some decent Samsung products, but if I'm going to sign a 2 year phone agreement, I don't want to be stuck with a Samsung. :blink:

8. kellsworthington

I found a few glitches with this phone here and there, but none is as big as the bluetooth issue. I still have my old T637... so in theory I can take out the SIM card every time I want to use the bluetooth feature, but who wants to do that? I will officially never, EVER support any Samsung product again. Furthermore, I actually hope every Samsung developer gets the bird flu.

9. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have a Samsung i730 and also had no trouble pairing with Prius 2005 and 2006. I also have never transferred phone book entries, but other than that, everything works well.

I am very fussy, currently have 3 cell phone accounts, and I think the i730 is an excellent product.

10. infohwyguy

infohwyguy New Member

I also have a Samsung D307 (Cingular). Don't give up trying to pair it with your Prius bluetooth. You should be able to get it to work. It failed a few times when I first tried to set it up, but got it working after a few tries. Now it works pretty reliably. Sometimes I've noticed the D307 LCD display light (on the outside) stays on constantly after using the phone in the car. The only way I've found to turn the light off is to recycle power on the phone.

Rick S.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will be looking for new phones next month. I have crossed Verizon off my list, because of their "business model" that does not include enabling Bluetooth and I guess I should take a hard look at Samsung.

12. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I highly recommend Sony Ericsson W600i from Cingular.
    It is MP3/FM Radio/Cell Phone/Camera/PSP combined into one! (all in smaller scale)
    The 256M memory space is the only drawback.
    For Prius owners, it has the one-shot phone book transfer!
    So far, I have found only one minor bug on my phone. For a phone this complex, it is acceptable.

I used to carry Moto V551. SE W600i is one-gen better. :)

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Samsung works just fine with the Prius. Now, each model may or may not (ala the samsung a900 for sprint, but that thing had issues with everything) but in general, it should work just fine.

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Good luck not being stuck with one. They're the biggest phone maker in the world.

15. kellsworthington

Anything special you've done with the phone besides pairing/unpairing?

16. infohwyguy

infohwyguy New Member

Nothing special, but it's a bit tricky getting them paired up. It takes several tries. I had to delete the name of the other bluetooth device several times (in both the phone and in the car) and start the process from scratch before it finally worked. Once I got them paired up, everything has been working fine ever since; except of course the problem I still have once in a while, where the phone's LCD backlight sometimes gets stuck on. As I stated before, all I need do to correct this is recycle power on the phone and the backlight problem goes away.

I wish it worked better. I've now gotten into the habit of pulling the phone out of it's holster after I've been in the car to check if the backlight is stuck on.

Rick S

17. kellsworthington

That's weird... I never had a problem pairing the two... My problem was just that i'd be talking about a minute and it would transfer the call to my phone without warning.

I convinced Cingular to send me a replacement phone (the same phone) to see if that works. Thanks for your input though!

18. warrior

warrior New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I use a Jitterbug. Works just fine

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: NO SAMSUNG phones work with Toyotas!!!

I have a Sony Ericsson W300i, which is an earlier version of the W600i. It works great.

Tom

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: NO SAMSUNG phones work with Toyotas!!!

For those of you with compatibility issues, go here...

Toyota Bluetooth Phone

It has a list of all phones, and what options will work with the Prius.
    It worked for me, I got Verizon Envy, 99.9% compatabile. Good enough for me!

Good Luck