1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Speed Detecting Option for door locks?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by venom700, Sep 15, 2009.

1. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took my car in to get some of the courtesy programming changes done and according to my dealer, the option to have the door locks engage at 12mph (speed-detecting automatic door lock function) doesn't exist. It is just when shifting into gear that will automatically unlock them. Of course I pointed out what the manual said but they were insistent. Has anyone else been told this?

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There have definitely been posters who said they had it done. However, my recollection is that at least one of them said it had to be one or the other, i.e., that you can't have both the lock on shift and the lock at speed options set at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  3. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh I know it should be one or the other, but my dealer said the technician said that the speed sensing option doesn't exist. A bummer as I really wanted that one changed since it is very annoying to maybe back out of the garage & then having to unlock the doors yet again to let other people in the car.

1 person likes this.
  4. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tell them to look at this section of the repair manual (available on TIS)

Repair Manual\General\Introduction\REPAIR INSTRUCTION\CUSTOMIZE PARAMETERS

These should be separate, individually programmable features, just as listed in the manual. My guess is that they simply didn't look hard enough in the Techstream menus to change it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    VENOM700,

This is a User Programmable option. You can do this yourself and set it to the Speed Linked Locking function yourself. Refer to your owners manual on Pages 69-70. This would be done easily by yourself following the instructions in the manual.

In summary, you will place the shifter in "N" and hold the Lock Button for 5 secs on the door lock/unlock switch to set.

Should work fine for you. You won't be able to have 2 options active at the same time, so if you pick the speed option it won't lock when put in gear and vice versa.

Good Luck! ;)

4 people like this.
  6. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jayvee,

As I noted in the post you can do this without the dealer. It's quite a simple process. Refer to my post in case you wish to do any changes as well. There are a few options you can do yourself and don't need any dealer to assist. :)

2 people like this.
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, it's on pp. 69-70 of the owner's manual. I did it myself. Just use the flashing colon on the clock to time out the five seconds, it can be a little persnickety.

1 person likes this.
  8. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well at least the backup beep & seat belt beep were taken care of for me. Not that I go without a seat belt other than when in the car wash or just around a parking lot, etc.

9. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And now you can do the fix for the Door Locks! Life is good...;)

10. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok so I followed the instructions, and the doors lock/unlock meaning the car took the programming. I accelerated & the doors locked at 14mph. I stopped, put the car in park and the doors unlock. So far so good. Now I put it in drive again, and voila, the doors lock. I repeat all of this 3 times. Each time it only goes to the speed function for one cycle if you will. Any further ideas?

11. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I guess that I don't understand the need to have the doors lock at 12 or 14 mph. Isn't just having them lock when going into gear, and then unlock in Park good enough?

I mean, if you have to move the car, and then get out to close the garage door, do you leave the car in gear and jump out while it is rolling away? Don't you put the car in Park first, at which point the doors would automatically unlock for you anyway??

12. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess don't really you do get it then. If you have a garage, get in, back out and then people are going to enter your car from the passenger side (they couldn't in the garage because the car is up against the wall)...well duh, you gotta unlock the car again. Much easier to have the doors all be unlocked already. Same as if it's raining and you go to the car yourself to drive it up to the restaurant for your lady so she doesn't get wet (assuming you can cruise up under the speed where they would lock). Last thing you want is her yelling at you cause she can't open the door. Just my 2 cents.

13. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Venom700,

You will have to "DISABLE" the other feature in the same manner. Meaning, if they are locking in gear etc, you have to perform the same funtion as you would to Activate that Feature to INACTIVATE it, so that you only have the SPEED LOCK FEATURE active...

Sounds like you need to DISABLE the Shift Lock function. So you would place the shifter in "PARK" and hold down the Lock or Unlock Button of the operation you want to disable. For Example, Let's say you want to disable the UNLOCK function when shifting into Park.

With the car in "ON", and shifter in "PARK", HOLD the UNLOCK BUTTON for 5 SECS to disable that function. Be sure it's 5 SECS as well... Above the Grid on Page 70 it states to use the same procedure to activate something to DE-ACTIVATE it. Hope that makes sense??

Good Luck with the It's like turning the BIT on or BIT off basically, and just done with the Lock and Unlock Buttons based upon where the SHIFT knob is located Either P or N.

Hope that helps??

2 people like this.
  14. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Bob, you got it. It's all set properly now. A little redundant to have to turn it on & turn the opposite off instead of just having the functions switch but that's just how it is.

15. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Venom700,

Well I am glad you got it worked out. I know it sounds harder than it is, and once you get the hang of it, it works quite well.

I am glad it's working as you wanted now. And the good thing is you can change it in the future to anything else you want. :)

If situations change or you want a change, you can do it yourself and change it.

Glad I could help you out with this one.:)

16. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, I guess I still don't understand why you would want this...

If I'm stopped and want people to get in, I'd have it in park anyway. It's just a safety thing. If I have a brain fart and let off the brake while they're getting in, I'll start moving and possibly hurt them. I guess you could argue that I might also shift into drive while they're getting in, but I think it's less likely.

I also don't like it when people open the door to get out before I'm in park. It especially irritates me when they open the door before I'm completely stopped.

17. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  18. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At least we can all agree it's nice to have the option to set it how you want, right?

19. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got mine to work! P unlocks, and they lock at 14 mph. Is nice. Can pull out of a parking space and don't have to play with the stupid locks.

I never got into the habit of tossing it in park to let someone in or put, unless it's someone who moves slow or a little kid.

20. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I need to go try this too as my car is doing the thing where it locks at 14mph but also locks when going into Park. The manual makes it seem like if you switch to speed-lock the other is automatically disabled.