1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No start after smoke,burning smell from front.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by northwichita, May 24, 2008.

1. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know, expensive. The car is parked at a nearby transmission shop who was able to tow it from off the road.

I was at a stop , when the dash warning lights, red triangle, beeping, went off. I then noticed a burning smell and saw a little smoke from the front left of the car, so I immediately turned off the car. I popped the hood, and looked but everything looked okay, and I couldn't see anything smoking then. After a bit , I got back in, and tried the power button only, (no brake). The center screen turns on. Another hit of the power button, to get it in neutral , the top display starts to power, about a second, then dies, everything blank. I think I tried this twice, same thing, no change.

I've waited some time on this already, first the shop guy said, sure he'd look at it, then decided against it (I don't blame him), maybe he thought he might see something obvious. The're taking time to tow it to the dealership, and so Friday I left a note saying I wanted to do more troubleshooting myself. I've already looked over the front of the engine bay for any obvious dark burn marks,melted wires , nothing. I'm looking at the toyota tech site today.
    Since the car can't even be turned on, scanners are of no use, correct?
    The technician will look at connections, and start testing the major components. I figure I could do some of that.

The car has 110 K and any expensive repairs will be done with salvage parts at least thats my plan. The dealer won't want to deal with salvage parts, so I'm not eager to take it there. I did talk to the service writer, he said, it's probably the 12 v battery. I said, with 12.5 volts? , well, maybe it's not putting out the amps. The 12.5 volts I tested was after the car had set several days, but I didn't test the voltage when powering up,which is easy to do.

Thinking about any previous hints of a problem, I remember about 3 times this last several weeks a hesitation on strong accelleration, fairly brief, several seconds into the accelleration (from a stop). I've owned the car for about 5 months, put on 3 k . The car was from Arizona . Ebay purchase. Any good advice is welcome, aside from transaxle replacement, I can attempt.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you open your door while stopped? You will get many of those indications if you do.

Have you tested the 12v battery since the incident? Sounds like you checked it some time ago.

At least try a jump to see if the ICE will start, it may be that simple.

Can't explain the smoke and burning smell.

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    yes the 12.5 volts was after checking it after it had sat at the shop several days -in it's present condition.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Front left is where the main 12V distribution and relay box is.
    Since you said all the 12V stuff went dark after your restart
    attempt, I'd start looking there. Another possibility is the
    connection to the DC/DC converter output at the back of the
    inverter that also feeds straight into the 12V bus. If you
    can start disconnecting any of this stuff piece by piece, and
    inspect the fusible-link block in the relay box while you're
    in there [the thing with a clear plastic cover], you might find
    the evidence you're looking for. If I had to guess I'd say some
    fairly high-current 12V connection somehow got rubbed against
    ground and shorted, and maybe got vibrated just barely clear
    of the shorted condition again when the later tests were done
    but could obviously recur.
    Keep us posted! It's always nice to have ready answers to those
    occasional questions like "my prius is emitting smoke from under
    the hood, what might be wrong" and the community is building
    a wealth of experience here.
    _H*

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    H-
    Think it could be that a wiring harness got cut by a reversed starter hole cover?

6. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Soon after I bought the car, I bent that tab on the starter hole cover back onto itself, I did look at it last week, the wire bundle looked okay. I checked most of the wiring that was obvious, including the water pumps'. The fuse box and clear 'fusable link block' looked okay without taking them out, and the relay box above the gas engine was also checked. I didn't look behind the converter; I've taken the wiper/cowl assembly off once, so the second time should go faster.
    I've read up on powering off the car, so I'll get into it next week, checking connections, etc probably Tues/Wed after work.
    A post in this link by hobbit
    Spring maintenance shows a possible rub point on the primary 12v converter line on a bracket for a brake line, hoping it's something that simple. Thanks for the help .

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is front left referencing from you in the seat? Do you mean front drivers side? If so might mean the Inverter. Buy a Scan Gauge here at Prius Shop (can use it on many cars) and see what DTC's its throwing. Thats the first thing the dealer would do.

Also whats the state of tune? Oil..ATF oil.....plugs..history.

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope you find it soon and I double hope it is not expensive! That is the one thing about the Pri that worries me. It is so technologically advanced that it can scare the pants off of any regular mechanic!

9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I haven't posted on this for weeks, I kept finding out more things. The dealership service rep , where the car was towed , initially told me two engine fuses blew, one had to be ordered, otherwise , the car was running fine. I was very happy with that news , and asked them to save the fuses. I picked up the car, I only saw one 15 amp fuse, we (service rep) both look for the second fuse, but don't find it. The car did run fine, I had the service rep tell me specifically which fuses had blew, as they didn't know why it happened, I expected it to repeat. Inside the cabin was one blue 15 amp blown fuse . On my bill of $243 I realized I didn't see the cost of the fuse that was supposedly ordered. I call back, the service rep can't help, I call back more, and get someone to talk to the mechanic who fixed the no-run condition car, one fuse was replaced, the 15 amp one inside the engine compartment fuse box, right side, second one from the top. I am pissed I was lied to by the service guy, I called and complained to the local Wichita Toyota dealership about it, as if they care. Another reason I haven't posted, not happy about some of these details. The mechanic actually used the "extra" fuse in the fuse box, and I still got charged for shop supplies. Personal goal , never to go back there at least for 'service'.

Anyway, I didn't trust the car. I drove it short trips around town, not believing nothing more could be wrong. Finally, on an half hour trip, with the a/c on , the triangle light went back on, but no smoke, burning smell this time. I slow way down, turn off the a/c, and slowly get back to my parents house. Hours later I decide to try to drive it home, going slowly, watching the engine current flows, everything seems to run normal, except the red triangle is lit. I finally think of going to Autozone, where they read trouble codes, and the code for the inverter coolant pump is set. Finally!! something I can deal with. I find the pump, and realize it's not running, dead. I buy a new pump , read up on installing one, put it in, and bleed air from the system. By this time I've bought a good repair manual, Bentley, which helped. I'll post a tip on bleeding later. I've also bought the scan gauge II so I'm not running blind anymore. I'm amazed, disappointed this high tech car doesn't have more/ better user friendly engine warning systems. After the code was read at autozone, the engine light went out, but the inverter coolant pump was not running. There are only two wires going to that pump, So I had to figure a way to monitor that. I couldn't think of an easy coolant flow monitor, so I bought a digital oven temperature monitor with a probe, with an audible alert. I set it on the left side of my car, and the probe (unbending it a bit), runs around the left side, right inside the door, snaking it between the body panels to the engine compartment , and the temp probe rests on the groove on the back side of the inverter itself. Some epoxy material helps with contact . Crude, but it's cheap ( $17) , it's got an audible alert, with experience I'll know what warning temperature to set it, i.e a little higher than it generally runs. The more info I have the better. If it gets hot, I'll stop , and check for coolant flow.

I still wonder if there is more to my car that will develop. Today, second day with my scan gauge, I have two codes come up, U0100 and U0111,. These had to deal with CAN communication, and a search on this site showed someone else had this show up when hooking up the scan gauge. Cleared it and the car seems to run okay.

I also changed the transaxle fluid, rather black, wondered about getting that tested. That's all the fun I'm having, hoping things get more routine, and the great Toyota reliability comes through. I forgot , I also tested the electric motors, a/c compressor with a megohmmeter, bought off Ebay, they seemed to test okay. Bottom line, the car is still getting great mileage, so the main systems seem intact.

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry about the problems; the part, the dealership, the hassle. You've done a great
    job with the write up. Even a non-techie like me can follow the sequence of events
    and the logic of your process. Thanks.

For the record, I take it that you bought the coolant pump from Toyota, and not AutoZone.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to our world grasshopper. <grins>

You have taken the first major steps:

• maintenance manual - the road map
    • scan gauge - the first diagnostic tool
    • pump change - first significant repair
    • transaxle oil change - important maintenance
    Which fuse blew? The purpose of a fuse is to protect the wiring and they are supposed to blow before the wires burn up. So knowing which fuse gives an idea of what system got stressed and may help explain your earlier symptoms.

Prius friend Hobbit has reported finding a 'jelled' coolant in the channels of an inverter and there have been other reports of 'stuff' in the old coolant. I suspect this is an as yet undocumented risk and leads to early coolant pump replacements; overheated inverters; and symptoms similar to yours.

On the transaxle oil change, I would recommend running about 2-3,000 miles and changing it again. The NHW11 seems to carry forward about 15-20% of the old oil. By running on the new change and then doing an early, second change you'll get the last of the 'black stuff' out.

Do you still have a sample of the old oil? You might consider sending it to PdMA and ask for the 40C and 100C viscosity test and oil index. Then do the same on the second change. We can compare your two values to the virgin oil sample and calculate the amount of oil carried over. I know what the carry over is for the NHW11 but we don't have similar data for NHW20s.

Bob Wilson

12. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For the record, I take it that you bought the coolant pump from Toyota, and not AutoZone -
    Yes seems like most things for the Prius only are found at the Toyota dealership, including the Toyota SLLC (coolant) and WS ATF fluid.

Which fuse blew?

AM2 : Blue 15 amp fuse in right side main engine fuse box. I've found out fuse names are listed underneath the black fuse cover fuse . I realize I wrote the wrong one size wise initially , I'll change that.

About the initial problem, I suppose the burning smell was the coolant pump burning out, not sure. The pump looked okay externally, the shaft inside didn't turn. I tried to split it in two, wouldn't separate . A quick ohm test showed 43 Ohms . I remember also after the breakdown the car , on hitting start would light up on the dash briefly ,about a second, and then shut down. Later, after towed to the dealership, nothing on the dash would light up when hitting start. I'll go out on a limb and wonder if circuit breaker was also involved ,initially, and then with the retries of starting , the fuse blew. A guess.
    The coolant that was drained looked normal, pinkish, with the same freeze protection of the new stuff on testing. I've owned GM cars, I know what really bad Dexcool looks like.
    I've wondered if the coolant pump stopped, the car electronics overheated ,something unknown burnt out, overloading the fuse protection. But like I said everything seems to now run, so...

13. prius2serve

prius2serve New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Similar situation happened to me and I'm just researching now before I go tear into it in the garage. I am gathering my photos and video from when it happened and will post it after I get to 5 posts later today.

Thanks to all the posters on this thread and forum it's amazing how much I have learned form reading the posts! the context and different knowledge being organized into a forum always amazes me!

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Don't hijack a 9 year old thread. Start a new thread. Its the blue button top right says "start a thread".
    That way it won't be buried somewhere at the end of someone else thread. You'll get alot more views on a fresh thread.

prius2serve likes this.
  15. methods

methods New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Most excellent thread.

I can validate the following:

* I have an 04, so an early model of a second gen where... they often value engineer things like a coolant pump
    * 200,000 miles on this one
    * Sitting in the hot sun, AC full blast, white smoke plums from driver side of hood, very strong electrical smell, slowly controls crapped out

* First, would not go into gear, but gear selection letters showing. Similar to how it appears when you run out of gas... just wont go into gear... fussy.

* After a minute, wont get to "ON" (whatever this ethos calls it). Dash screen will come up, but car will not go into next mode.

* no codes on my code scanner (nice Toyota) - Standard $100 Autozone scanner

Normally I am a huge Toyota and Honda proponent.. So I will take an opportunity to be a touch negative

No indications from the car, to me, as to what the problem is (other than electrical smoke, lol)

* I read this thread

* I check my battery voltage, 12.43V, then with car on (screen on, so no brake), 12.34 - Fluke 87V
    * run thru the fuses... as described, upper right, 15A, blue, second down - Blown. Found it on second test.
    * Replaced with similar. Spare rack had 2pcs fuse, one green 30A, one blue 15A

* Clicker, clacker... VROOOM

Excellent work guys... This is all I am trying to say about the forums... that they changed the world.

-methods

(First post - not a thread jack as I am validating a solution, so contributing. Will update once job complete)

16. methods

methods New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Pumps are $200 at Autozone and McNastyiez. . $150 at the dealer.
    ONLY time the dealer has ever been fresh with ME. . .

Santa Cruz Toyota dealer fronted no cred - had to pay out of pocket

-methods

17. methods

methods New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Job done
    Wrote it up elsewhere

Car runs
    No codes
    Everything perfect

Root Cause:
    It was apparent from the blow-out in the potting mold (black pour under the pump motor) that the previous pump electronics had failed. It is not a traditional 12V DC pump, but a brushless pump with an embedded controller. Proof of this being the old (failed) pump read 20-30ohms resistive at the terminals and the new pump showed "active - circuit" - meaning when I applied the DMM (Fluke 87V) and energized the circuit with the excitation current used to read resistance... the capacitance on the rail charged up. I could then reverse the leads, read negative voltage, thereby proving it was a capacitive circuit. Simple DC pump motors are inductive and do not hold a charge. -Schindler"

The smell came right out of the hole under the pump. It was a slam dunk.

I took tons of pics with a G5. All the important bits and gotchas. Took a short video. Listed the tools. All of the usual.

After replacing the pump you could clearly feel the hoses vibrating. You could see the fluid returning to the reserve. You could hear the hum of the pump with the car in the ready position.

I changed mine by removing only the two main bolts, up front on the inverter. Bring it up and shift it over. The trick is removing the single plastic hose clamp... down on the right... right in the road. You will find it, and once you remove that the entire assembly will come up and away, there by allowing you to bring it to near level with the fluid reserve, thereby allowing you to swap pumps without flush. - yes yes - flush yours. This is a "Schindler Engineering Adventure" and we save that job for the Tesla. This is a Prius with 200K miles. . . do the minimum (if the fluid is clean) to keep the car on the road.

Yes yes... the replacement pump came with a replacement washer for the drain plug. It also came with a bracket, that clearly indicated to me that the service write-up was assuming I had the car up on a lift and that there may be "pump chunks" loose in the fluid path that need to be flushed out and removed. Not true on my repair, so I omitted that step. The pump failure was not mechanical in nature as far as I could tell.

To speculate on why another member said "pump wont turn" - that is most likely because it is a 3 phase brushless motor. It is driven by an H-Bridge rectifier. The mosfets in the rectumfryer are in failure mode, which is short circuit. This is now acting as a "crowbar brake" such that turning the impeller acts like running a generator into a load... where the load is very low impedance... and... so there ya go.

I am an Electrical Engineer from the Department of Energy
    Live long and prosper

-methods