1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Start, any ideas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by justjeff, Nov 27, 2011.

1. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2004 prius hit in the front. When I picked it up, I turned the power on and pushed it out of the previous owners yard to my trailer. Right before I shut it off, the engine tried to start. But the motor mount was broken so I shut off immediately. Since then I have fixed the structural damage and replaced broken motor mount on passenger side.

I plugged in all the mechanical plugs, other than the cooling fan and headlights, etc. At this point I just want to see if the engine runs. So I hooked up the 12V negative and before even putting in the service plug, the whole dash lit up and I think I may have been able to hear the inverter?? Then I plugged in the service plug and got into the car to try starting. In the consumption screen in the left hand upper corner I could see the triangle with exclamation point or whatever, and like every light on the dash was lit up. The power button was orange. I pushed it to see if it would light up and nothing. Then I couldnt pull out the key until I unplugged the 12V power...Any ideas of if there is a certain time period I have to wait to let everything energize or something? Any other ideas? Do I need to have EVERYTHING hooked up prior to seeing if it will at least run?? Please advise, as I dont want to put another dime into it until I know if it runs...

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I suspect that you should have connected the HV battery before the 12V
    battery. As I understand it the HV battery can only come on line via 12V
    powered circuit breakers. You should consider starting over with the HV
    battery first. Hopefully a bunch of disabling error codes haven't been
    registered.

Better diagnosticians than me will doubtlessly post up shortly.

FWIW, your avatar -- there was no Advanced Technology package in
    2004, nor up to the Gen III in 2010. ;)

3. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll go give that a try. As for the avatar, I dont know what an advanced technology package is, and unsure what you are mentioning about the Gen III in 2010??? I didnt put anything in my avatar as far as I recall when I signed up??? Im not even sure how to tell what package a prius has, this is my first. BTW, thanks for the idea. Im going to try it now. Do I need to wait for any length of time before trying to start up, or before connecting the 12V?

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any time the HV battery is disconnected there is a recommended waiting
    period before proceeding on any work. IIRC it is ~15 minutes.

Don't be too hasty in going any further. I think it best to wait for some of
    the more experienced members to post up with their thoughts.

As to the avatar, you can get to it via the User CP option at the far left at
    the top. It seems strange that Advanced Technology is the default. :confused:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other common thing to check is that the service plug was COMPLETELY locked down. There are 2 clicks and many people have gotten the first click and had issues until assuring that the orange lock was completely snapped into place.

obviously there are a plethora of other issues possible here. Could the inverter have been damaged, either of the motors? It sounds like your 12V is probably OK, but I'd double check the voltage on that too as you can get all sorts of error messages if that is not strong enough.

1 person likes this.