1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nobel Laureate Comes Out of the Nazi Closet...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/13/news/grass.php

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Technically, Squid, you're supposed to post a paragraph or two and then provide a link to the entire article. It's copyright law.

Please do me a favor and edit your post. Then I'll delete this reply and we'll all be happy. :)

3. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 15 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]303637[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, this might be a good exercise...

Post up the precise citation, and I'll be happy to comply... :)

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Don't know who is right here...but here are some interesting articles on the subject...

and by the way...Squid, it scares me that your name is always closely associated with stuff about Nazi's.'
    Do you have a fascination with them...or what gives :eek: ?

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

FBI

Copyright Laws

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How to post news articles on Priuschat

"Try to include the Story Title, then only post a summary of the story, or the first paragraph of the story, then include a link to the news story (for long hyperlinks please use text links). " This is from Danny. Feel free to contact him for further edificatoin.

6. Mystery Squid

Ok fine... The article was small enough to simply post into a post ( :lol: ), figured I'd make it a bit easier for folks, no clicking and launching another window, that sort of thing.

This is one of those situations where common sense and practicality makes more sense than technicality... :lol:

However, since I'm in a relatively good mood, and witnessed another spectacular sunset, I won't fight, but rather comply with no prejudice. PLUS, I throw in a shot of last night's sunset...

Although part of me was hoping someone would be articulate enough to post up the actual USCode regarding this issue... But you know what? I really don't give a damn.... :lol:

[attachmentid=4509]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Aug 15 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]303795[/snapback]</div>
    What can I say? Oh, I know, ALL TOGETHER NOW!!

SIEG....!

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

FBI

Copyright Laws

Thanks for the links, you're a real sweetheart, but I sure as heck ain't gonna look through all that myself for the proper citation... I'll put it another way, I've been known to whip out my cell phone to call someone in the next room because I'm too lazy to get up or raise my voice... :D

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I guess Danny's say so isn't good enough for Mr. E. Squid.

8. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 16 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]303905[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

Just put me on your ignore and live happily ever after... ;)

I don't care if it was GWB himself, God, Allah, whomever, if I don't necessarily agree with it, I *might* question it...

...and it might have been a good learning experience. To quote the actual code, you know interactive LEARNING as opposed following orders Fraulien Godiva?

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dude, I just wanted to keep things tidy and clean here on the chat. Didn't mean to totally sideline the topic.

Personally, I found the article really interesting. I believe that if he won the award because his book was that good then that's all the criteria that should be judged. I suppose that in my mind, it's sort of like the lead singer for Iron Maiden who came out of the closet many years after all their hit songs admitting that he was gay the whole time. I saw an interview with a young fan - I think it was "Behind the Music" - who said, "I don't care if he's gay, straight, or running around f-ing sheep; their songs are awesome."

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 16 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]304004[/snapback]</div>
    You equate being gay and being a Nazi as the same? You're kidding right? You would buy a book written by a Nazi?

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 16 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]304001[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you could have googled it yourself and done a little work. This place we use is a privilege, not a right. If we abuse it, we lose it.

What do you need the code for when Danny has already posted policy? I provided a link. Click on it. That's interactive.

You can also use the internet to find out how to spell Fraulein. Reducing your debate to personal attacks?

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 16 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]304202[/snapback]</div>

Hey man, you started down that path with your quote, maybe you're looking for one?

...and since we're talking about Nazi's...

[​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 16 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]304196[/snapback]</div>
    Is there really a difference? Both thrust their way life into the anals of society...

Look at what they did to the word "Gay". There was a time where "gay" was a synonym for "happy".... Now they're trying to get into 2nd grade school books.... I say there are many parallels you can make actually....

:lol:

..crap, my monocle fell out... :lol:

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 16 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]304196[/snapback]</div>
    Many years ago I bought "The Republic" by Plato. I know you would have objected had you been there since he was a free thinker. My point - which was apperantly too deep - was to remove one's works from one's person. Who they are is different from what they do. What they do should not be affected by who they are. Personally, I don't trust "recovered" alcoholics any farther than I can throw a seated president.

And yes, I OWN a translated copy of Mein Kampf and my wife OWNS the biography of Kevyn Aucoin. Oh yeah, we both really enjoy the songs of George Michael (old and new). I believe that Elton John should be loved for "Crocodile Rock" rather than chastised for his sexual preference. And now for the kicker: I am personally only two-generations removed from Germany. I have relatives who fought on both sides of World War II. I think no less of my German relatives than I do of my uncles who died fighting them. I believe in and defend their patriotism and love of their homeland with the same breath in which I declare my own. Had my grandparents not emigrated, my father would have been right there fighting along side with them.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

TPS,

I have not read Grass' autobio, but I do know the furor is not over being in the German military during WW II during an era of mandatory draft, but his being in the Waffen SS and having lied about it for 50 odd years. Perhaps you are not familiar with the activities of the SS during the Nazi regime ?

In many ways Grass is Germany's conscience. He should be required reading for all, let alone for Germans. In some ways his past might only add to his influence, for who better to explain racism, fascism, and militant nationalism run amok, than one who has walked the path ? I would only hope that the author sees fit not to profit from the enterprise.

Btw, I have read smatterings of Hitler's Mein Kampf also. Wasn't worth the money to buy IMO, anymore than Anne Coulter. Otoh, his speeches are very interesting.

Dberman, consider yourself someone who *has* to read Grass. Irony of ironies.

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, Eric, after Squid's initial post, I placed a hold for Grass' book at my local library. I figured that I hadn't read it but if it won an award and is causing a big hullabaluh, then I'm all over it!

16. Mystery Squid

Uh oh...

Tony owns a copy of Mein Kampf, and so do I... :ph34r:

There's a secret area of the screen that if you click just the right place, at the right time, it'll take you to our secret Neo-Nazi website... Should you find it, check it out, here's the login info.:

Login: seig
    Password: heil421

If you have any problems logging in, send the admin. an e-mail at: [email protected]

Currently, hottest topic within the Reichstag forum is:

"which made you laugh more: schindler's list or caddyshack?"

Oh yeah, my screen name there is the same as on here...

:lol:

17. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 16 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]304334[/snapback]</div>
    Which book of Grass' are you going to read ? I don't know that his autobio has won any award; the nobel prize was awarded for 'The Tin Drum'

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When my Mother (a U.S. citizen) was a child her family went to Germany to visit relatives. The war broke and and they were trapped in Germany, unable to leave. The only childhood photo we have of her is age nine standing on the rubble of a bombed out building. She went through school there and says she still does her timestables in German in her head. When she was 17 she and her older brother (also a U.S. citizen) finally returned to the U.S.

Near the end of the war her older brother was drafted into the German army. He had just turned 16 or 17. He served on the eastern front and was captured by the Russians. He escaped and tried to make his way home but was captured and returned to the Russians. He escaped again and was finally able to make it far enough to surrender to the Americans.

A few years later he and my Mother returned to the U.S. He enlisted in the U.S. military and served in Korea. She got a job in Connecticut and met my Father.

She doesn't talk much about the war. She did tell us about how she used to practice running holding her breath in case the Americans dropped gas bombs. She knows a cousin married into a Jewish family. Her Father left for a few days and when he returned he had some beautifully embroidered handkerchiefs. He swore the entire family to secrecy that he had never left the house. She has no idea who or where these relatives are.

A small percentage of the German population were Nazis. My Mother's family certainly were not. Most didn't have any idea what was going on. They weren't policy-makers. They were just trying to survive.

Isn't there a rule where the first to bring up Nazi's loses?

Consider yourself ignored Squid. I don't know why I waited this long.

19. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 15 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]303731[/snapback]</div>
    For those with short attention spans, the specific bits about allowable use of copyrighted materials, noting, in particular, the "fair use" doctrine, which, I believe, is what Danny's rules are all about. And we all know just how short squid's attention span is, unless the subject is squid.

Godiva, grrll, next time I am in the southland, I would LOVE to meet with you!

20. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 17 2006, 04:34 AM) [snapback]304560[/snapback]</div>
    Uh-huh, I'm sure they all thought the trains were going to happy places... :rolleyes: