1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise coming from battery vents

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mwok86, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving today with no music on and noticed something strange. I heard something "roasting" in the backseat...and looks like the noise comes from the battery vents. It sounds more like "roasting" noise than fan noise. Do you know if the battery was overheating?

The weather was 90 degrees (feels like 96) and I had the AC on ECO at Speed 1 (78 degree setting).

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Although it hasn't happen to me, I suspect that is your HV battery fan running. Is it constant? Do you have a level drive or a lot of hills?
    In anycase, if there are any real problems, you would likely get a warning light on the dash.

p.s. when hot outside, keep your AC running as that assists cooling of the battery.

3. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only hear why accelerating. As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, the noise stops. I only heard it today (had the music turned off) and on a flat road.

I thought the HV battery was passively cooled. It could be that the battery is discharging and produces noise...but it is loud.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By roasting sound do you mean a popping sound like hot grease? If there is some kind of discharge happening that you can hear I would guess there is a serious problem. If it is reproducible, I would go straight to the dealer.

6. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i'm not sure what a roasting sound would be. ive heard fan sounds sometimes, its normal. if you hear a whirring sound, i've had that on my old cars when im accelerating with the radio on but nothing playing through the aux jack.

7. chartquist

chartquist New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agree with the other posts that "roasting" might not be the best description of the sound, but my battery fan is noticible and definitely runs faster with more throttle too. I never heard a battery fan sound in my old 2004 Gen II, but I hear it often in my 2010 Gen III.

8. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've experienced the same thing. It is perfectly normal & yes the fan goes faster with speed of the vehicle. The first time I heard it, I thought one of the rear windows was not fully closed because it sounded like air rushing through an open window!